1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Zero electric motorcycle

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuels' started by NavyCuda, Dec 30, 2015.

1. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

Here is a promotional video on one of their bikes, thoughts?

I'm not much of a motorcycle person but I will admit I wouldn't mind riding one once and a while. Electric would make sense as I have the infrastructure to deal with charging already.

2. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

Hmm, 140 miles (maybe) between charges, wonder how long the charge takes? Very interesting though about not having to shift gears, hadn't thought about that.
    It sounds like good fun, suitable for short commutes, and you gotta love the torque, but it's still too short range.

$15,900 (US, I assume). I don't know what bikes go for these days, we need Kagia in here!

3. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Some bikes don't get that to a tank of gas so that's not terrible. And it's pricey for sure but you'll get bikes in that range as soon as you go for a European bike

4. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

Yep 140 miles actually doesn't seem that bad considering...

When it comes to range, more is obviously better, but the only time I checked, I think I only got 168km before I hit reserve with my factory 3.4 gallon tank. I do ride like an asshole and am pretty hard on the throttle, but still not great.

If I was gonna get an electric bike, it'd the the KTM Freeride E in SUPERMOTO configuration ALL DAY.

Admittedly, I don't know much about either of them, but I think the KTM is probably smaller, lighter, better suspension, and better suited to hooligan type riding. It may have less battery life, but it just seems like the perfect little electric hooligan commuter bike.

5. NavyCuda

I'm kind of interested in the DSR. Largest motor, 13kWh battery and the charge tank option which gives support for using existing EV charge points.

6. NavyCuda

Neat promotional video of them being used by a police force.

7. NavyCuda

Ok, maybe I've got electric fever but here is a rather long but still entertaining video of the Zero FX on a trail.

8. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

I'm assuming that the performance figures given are the "best possible" in the same sense that mileage figures given by car manufacturers are always the best, hence "ymmv". I'm a skeptic about claims like this.

9. NavyCuda

I've read that they're not that far off but I have no real world experience to back that up.

10. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I think in the summer for a commuter it would be fairly accurate. As Navy has said in the past the cold has a huge effect on the range of his car, but I would venture to guess in mild weather the claims would be at least as close if not closer than a traditional engine