1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Wood Heat

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself Projects' started by NavyCuda, Dec 21, 2015.

1. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

I'm thinking about converting my house back to wood heat as electric forced air is not cheap to run.

What does a good quality fireweod cost per cord?

Who uses wood heat? So you like it, is it worth the effort of keeping and getting firewood?

What considerations should I make? I've already priced out a stove and talked with the insurance people, so what else should I think about before getting serious?

2. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

The physical benefits if you source and chop your own is a big pro. The biggest downside I can think of is you have to light the fires each morning. Not the end of the world, but would take some getting used too.

3. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

We use wood stoves at both cabins so for year round use I can only extrapolate but my 2 cents are. Buying wood gives you less control over what you get and is probably more expensive in the long run and if you buy in any quantity to get a better price you're going to need a covered wood shed to store it in. Getting your own firewood means a good quality saw, and the ability to haul a worthwhile amount per trip. And if you go that route you are going to need the wood shed for sure so you have the space to age the wood and have enough for the winter.

4. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

I used to heat solely with wood many years ago, and yes, you need a truck, a saw, and a woodshed. Also, a strong back and lots of time. It takes dedicated work to fill a woodshed and work to keep it filled. And it's messy by nature, but not too bad. Where you are, it may make a lot of sense.
    One of my brothers swears by pellet stoves, claiming they have all the benefits of logs with few of the drawbacks, does anyone here have any experience?

I'm on a gas furnace, have been for years.

5. NavyCuda

Pellet stoves need power for draft.

Pellets are interesting but not practical to my needs. Woodlot down the street from me too.

6. stevebc

At the end of my wood burning days, I found someone reliable who came and filled my 2 season woodshed and then some, and kept coming back after that. I guess I'm saying that getting my own wood got old real fast, and I found the other drawback to wood heat was controlling the temperature. But everyone says wood stoves these days are even way mo' bettah than in the '80's, so maybe that's not an issue anymore.

7. NavyCuda

This is the stove that I'm interested in. http://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-sirocco30.html

8. stevebc

Thanks- that's really an interesting stove. It sounds like they've got the temperature evened out, by having the stove control the burn. When I had my airtight (nobody calls them that anymore), you controlled the burn between the adjustable intake and the damper. And they didn't have those nice glass fronted doors, either.

9. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

We still call our cabin airtight an airtight!

10. NavyCuda

11. NavyCuda

12. drogers33

Stopped for fuel at the Coop?

13. NavyCuda

Of course! Get cashback from the CO-OP!

14. NavyCuda

15. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

FYI

In the middle of a room, on a wood pallet, that is on carpet is prob not the best place to setup a wood stove

Shawn

16. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Big and dumb and squishy!!!
    I miss them...

Also that looks like it's gonna be real cozy come the cold nights

17. NavyCuda

That's why I have a fire extinguisher.

18. Shawn

Man up you need this:

[​IMG]

Shawn

19. NavyCuda

Ok, that is cool!

20. drogers33

My next weekend task[​IMG]

21. NavyCuda

What day you think, so I can be prepared.

22. drogers33

Saturday

23. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

[​IMG]

24. NavyCuda

I have to admit splitting was quite fun. We got a pretty decent workflow going with three of us. Two people really slows your splitter down though.

25. TopSecret

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arms are still so very sore!

26. Shawn

I always loved splitting wood. We never had fancy machinery to do it tho. Good old axe for me lol

Shawn

27. drogers33

A fair bit of this stuff is mature alder. Lots of large branches and Y's that by hand aren't really usable without a splitter.

28. TopSecret

You should have seen the fancy machinery struggle with some of the rounds. As in really struggle to push it through.

I think it failed at least once... trying to push it and getting stuck half way through. Struggling on the second try and with the rest of that round.

Terrible to split by hand.