1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

"Whatever it takes to save the Earth, cause Granola girls gets 'em all moist."

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuels' started by NavyCuda, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

Yep that's brutal.

Furthermore, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they aren't writing it off because you have replacement insurance.

ICBC is slimey.

I can't wait till my insurance expires so I can explore some third party options. Beacon was fantastic to deal with when I wrecked my bike. Gave me full replacement cost no questions asked, and even $1000 for new riding gear.

ICBC and the government can suck it.

2. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

It's the third party that's the problem. I have my collision insurance with family insurance. I haven't heard from my adjuster since Thursday.

I've only had to deal with ICBC on smaller incidents, but nothing where the car needed serious repair.

3. NavyCuda

Well they refuse to write it off. They refuse to provide me loss of use coverage that I paid for for two reasons, I can't get a rental car in a timely fashion and the rental companies don't want dogs in their cars.

I was going to trade it in because I didn't buy a fixed car I bought a new car so that I would be the only person working on it. The payments work out to be too much so I can't trade it in.

So I find this whole situation rather depressing. I'm losing money paying for fuel and insurance on one of my cars for two weeks. I'm losing significant value in my Leaf. The extra replacement insurance I got was a waste of money.

So I'm going to be forced to pay for a car I no longer want and be out of pocket due to a collision that was not my fault.

4. NavyCuda

I can't get a rental car because of the dog. Parts are back ordered and right now looks like I have to wait until the end of the month to get my car back. Fuck.

5. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Doesn't your plan cover courtesy cars?
    When I had my accident they have me a truck because that's what was required for my circumstances. You should be able to say that your circumstances require you to have the dogs, and you paid for the courtesy car (assuming you did)
    And if even if you didn't, it was the other party's fault so it should be included anyways.

6. NavyCuda

Insurance told me taking my dog was a choice they didn't cover.

7. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

That's some bullshit.
    I'd argue that that coverage is designed to substitute your transportation during repair, not reduce your options

8. NavyCuda

Trust me I did. They should be paying my fuel too. They have zero interest in helping beyond doing the bare minimum their policy requires.

So my only recourse is to strongly advise people avoid family insurance. Apparently they went through an ownership change and got worse.

9. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I've had good luck with BCAA, but you definitely seem to be getting a shit deal. Your best option now is to just vote with your wallet and go elsewhere

10. NavyCuda

Got my car back today. Tomorrow it has to go back.

One wheel bearing is completely shot, the car wanders all over the place and the door is not correctly aligned so it is hitting the striker and lifting the door. I knew there was going to be masking lines but they're rather obvious. The colour match is surprisingly close though. Overall, I still don't want the car anymore and wish it had been replaced. Now that I'm going to have to deal with getting rework done just to get the car to an acceptable level will add to the headache. Not counting how I've had to do a good portion of the leg work between ICBC and family, just to get any progress on the car. I'm tired of this whole situation and wish it would just go away.

11. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

That sucks man. What shop did you use?
    I was thoroughly unimpressed with craftsman

12. NavyCuda

hitter.jpg poor_little_leaf_v2.jpg

So yeah.

I'll be using this when I talk to ICBC tomorrow, so any comments or questions to help me flesh out the details would be greatly appreciated.

At approximately ~16:35, today I was involved in yet another collision.

According to google maps I was ~160m from the bodyshop that I was returning the car to, to get the needed rework sorted out. I was in the south lane heading eastbound, as my destination required me to bear south from perdonville road to perdonville road. This is the Y intersection just south of highway one, bearing north would take you over highway one. Traffic was stopped in the north lane and I had been established in the south lane since before the previous intersection. The westbound traffic appeared to be moving freely as I passed through the intersection. I was slowed by the intersection and eastbound south lane traffic merging into the north lane. At this point I signaled my intention to merge right, the south lane opened up and there was approximately 150m until I beared south, the electric car accelerates smoothly, so I would have been travelling approximately 40-50kph. However from this road position I had zero visibility of the westbound traffic. While I was paying attention to the stopped traffic in the north lane, I did not see any openings in the stopped east bound traffic for the west bound traffic to turn south through. I had no reason to expect or consider someone turning across the road. Without warning a blue Toyota Tacoma appeared in front of me, perpendicular to my direction of travel, at no more than 2 car lengths, crossing south to enter a drive way of a business. I was able to jump on the brakes, utilizing a full panic stop. The Toyota appeared to continue accelerating because my trajectory was going to put me almost square in the middle of the Toyota. The nose dipped and I managed to bring the car to a complete stop, however, not before making contact with the Toyota and it's cargo, a motorcycle on a trailer hitch rack. The motorcycle appears to be an enthusiast dirt bike, but I am not familiar with motorcycles. The effect was two fold, both in the low velocity contact in the direction of travel, and the rebound of the suspension. This caused the bumper of the Toyota to hook into my headlight, and then into the right side fender. This tore a strip of metal completely out of the fender. The tire of the dirt bike left scuff marks on the hood of my Leaf, to the right of the left side headlight. The airbag did not deploy. The Toyota came to a stop approximately 4 car lengths inside the driveway.

From there I left the Leaf and called the body shop to let them know I might not quite be there before closing. went to talk to the driver of the Toyota. He told me someone waved him in and as soon as he saw me he stomped on the accelerator. He didn't directly admit to liability but suggested that ICBC would be likely to apply the liability to him. While I can understand believing someone else waving to signal safe passage, I've come to understand the dangerous choice of trusting someone I don't know. After exchanging details I continued on to the body shop and dropped the car off. In the short drive from the collision scene to the body shop I could not feel any significant driving issues in addition to the reasons I was returning to the body shop.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  13. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

My understanding is that as the other driver was turning, he is at fault.
    From what I interpreted you were not in the process of changing lanes, so you should be in the clear. There will be some issue with sorting out the difference between the two claims though. But that's not your issue.
    If possible I'd try and get the info of the individual who flagged the other driver.
    If they were not TCP qualified, and did not have the appropriate PPE on, there is a degree of liability.
    If they were TCP qualified their company may bear some liability

14. NavyCuda

Thank you for pointing out my error, corrected to say waved. Another driver signaled to him it was safe to cross.

Added the point that I was signaling my intention to bear right. Also clarified no additional mechanical problems other than the reasons I was returning to the body shop for.

15. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Seems you're still in the clear.
    Had you not changed lanes, the other driver would have still interfered with your travel.
    I'm by no means an adjuster, but my basic understanding is that if someone turns left, they are at fault. (Obvious exceptions being with preferential left turns but that does not apply here)
    Your biggest issue will be if they write it off.
    At this point it makes sense they do.
    Should they fail too, keep meticulous records of the issues you notes beforehand, and afterwards.
    The whole point of your insurance is to have your vehicle the same as it was before.

16. NavyCuda

That's why it was going back!

-Clarified my opinion on being waved in.

17. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Yeah.
    You've had a serious run of bad luck.
    *as to your point of being waved in, I agree
    Translink trains their drivers to never motion to other drivers, in case there were ever a miscommunication and someone gets hurt. I take that to heart and never never motion to left the Turners.
    I don't need the liability

18. NavyCuda

My dad made that point, that I should have made note of the licence plate of the person that let him in. In the future I will improve my situational awareness.

Well Jake and I were not injured. So while I may continue to take a beating on the monetary value of the Leaf, that's an emotional problem I can live with. Being injured would be far worse. So perhaps the way to look at it is that I was lucky during my misfortune.

19. NavyCuda

I looked it up last night, he turned left over what is known as a painted island. According to drivers3.pdf on ICBCs website, page 40, "Keep to the right and do not drive on or over."

He doesn't have a leg to stand on.

20. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

That would certainly clinch things in your favor. As long as he doesn't dispute the statement of facts Id imagine you're pretty safe

21. NavyCuda

The two pictures I posted prove the position of the collision in relation to the painted island.

22. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

At this point is also advise investing in a dashcam. Fairly cheap and a good impartial witness

23. NavyCuda

Yeah as soon as I have the spare money, I will.

24. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Lemme know when you decide to, I've had good luck with a local retailer who seems to have the best prices. You can see mine tomorrow!

25. NavyCuda

Hopefully get my car back tomorrow, but it has to go to Nissan on Saturday to check a fault light.

26. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I had that with my truck once. Huge piss off to get the vehicle back and then take it back in for something they should have noticed and fixed

27. NavyCuda

My Leaf is still not sorted out since the first collision and is at Nissan. They provided me a 2016 Leaf SV as a loaner.

The 30kWh battery makes a noticeable difference in range. With the 24kWh, I would get to work with 50% charge remaining(62.5km), with the 30kWh I arrive with 68% remaining.

The steering is a bit lighter which I like and the headunit reads my USB stick faster.

28. NavyCuda

32,300km

Well everything seems to be fixed with my car now. It has some masking lines and some panels that didn't line up right, but it drives equal to how it drove before the collision so I guess I'm as happy as I can be with it.

Having bought it new did help in that the dealership was much more willing to be helpful and find ways to fix the car. Turned out one of the problems was the right side rear bearing was damaged in the collision, which doesn't really make sense considering the impact was on the left front of the car. The insurance company was going to sqauk that it wasn't in the impact area, but because I bought the car new the dealership just did it as warranty.

29. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Glad you didn't get totally fucked over. And as much as aesthetics would piss me off too, at least functionality is unaffected

30. NavyCuda

35,000km

Took the leaf into Vancouver to go see the book of morman yesterday. Charging was just a block away from the Queen Elizabeth theater. When we got there, there was no one else in the EV spots, when we went to leave there was two more EVs, all the slots taken up. The thing is though that because someone else plugged into the same charging station I was using, the output dropped from 6.6kW to 3.3kW, so we had to stop in Abbotsford on the way home to top off the charge to get all the way home. The 30kWh Leaf this would have been much less of an issue, still would have needed charging, but there would have been enough headroom that I wouldn't have had to stop in Abbotsford on the way home. 48kWh or more would be perfect for me and give me roundtrip range to any one place in the lower mainland.

31. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

Just plug this bitch in an have Bella go at it while you drive

[​IMG]

That should work

Shawn

32. Shawn

HOLY SHIT

I JUST SAVED THE WORLD

BEHOLD FREE ENERGY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I win

Shawn

33. NavyCuda

I was going to use solar panels... They don't chop poor eagles to death!

34. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

I laughed :D

35. Shawn

I applaud you effort but your idea fails in practical application. Mine works in all weather conditions and at night. But I did take you critique to heart here is the revised prototype:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shawn

36. NavyCuda

Holy fuck that made me laugh hard, you sir do win.

37. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

38. NavyCuda

50,500km

I'm a bit overdue for my battery checkup which is due at 48,000km. With the low rolling resistance tires and immense torque the Leaf is not very good in the snow. Next year I must have good quality snow tires for it.

39. NavyCuda

51,500km

Got another perfect rating for taking care of the battery in my Leaf. I guess charging it on both ends of my journey to 100% is good for it!

40. NavyCuda

61,348km

Rough calculation: $1000 of hydro to travel 61,000km. Work provides charging for free and TopSecret pays for our hydro. I've spent perhaps $20 on charging at public chargers.

41. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

You still thinking of trading it in?

42. NavyCuda

Depending on money situation. If I had one with a 60kWh battery I wouldn't have to use public chargers at all.