1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

"Whatever it takes to save the Earth, cause Granola girls gets 'em all moist."

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuels' started by NavyCuda, Jun 24, 2015.

1. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

Poor little thing lives outside!

2. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Just modify part of your house to fit it!

3. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

Are you offering to fund said modification?

4. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I have access to heavy equipment

5. NavyCuda

The mobilization would cost more than the job!

6. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Nah!
    I can borrow the trailer to haul the Mini and the truck to pull it for free, and as long as she's back by monday A.M. it won't cost more than a case of beer

a case before I start and a case after
    I do my best work about 4 beers deep, and I like to maintain the buzz for the duration of the job

7. drogers33

4 beers for a buzz? Don't you mean liters?

8. NavyCuda

So when you get somewhere below an estimated 10km remaining, the car stops reporting the estimated range and it is replaced with ---km.

When you get below 5% battery charge remaining, the car reports ---% remaining.

I got home today with somewhere under 5% battery charge remaining, but I must have been above 1% left because I didn't get to try out turtle mode.

9. NavyCuda

Ok this is a dry yet interesting watch about battery technology. It's a couple years old but it does make me more confident about the battery in my car and where the battery-electric car is heading.

10. NavyCuda

The other day I learned the Leaf has a feature I didn't know it had... tire pressure monitoring. It doesn't tell me the exact pressure, just when the tires drop below a certain threshold.

So I walked around the car, kicked the tires and they all seemed fine so I carried on. I don't like warning lights so I bought a name brand tire pressure gauge with bleeder valve. Sadly, my expensive tire pressure gauge leaks so I have to fix it but that's easy enough.

So I go to the coop and check the tires one at a time and fill them. Due to the cold they dropped to 30psi and the spec is 36. I start filling the tire and I'm trying to decide when to stop filling when I hear a quick horn honk. It sounded like it came from the Leaf but I couldn't be sure. Check the pressure, 38psi, bleed back down to 36. Next tire is 30psi, fill and I hear the honk again, stop and check, 38psi. So each tire was at 30psi, each time the horn honked I stopped filling by 38psi. Handy feature!

The only other experience I've had with TPMS is on a 2010 F350 and it was a nightmare trying to reset them. Leaf just turned off the warning once it was happy.

11. drogers33

My '14 Dodge Journey starts warning me when the pressure drops 8kPa (1.1psi) so sub zero temps are enough to set it off.

12. NavyCuda

17,300km
    5.2km/kWh :oops:

Lately either with the combination of the weather or getting home late and not getting a full charge I've been as low as 9% charge remaining when I get to work. So I'm starting to think about putting a 240v Level 2 charging station at home. I'm thinking about trying OpenEVSE as it's about half the price of a OEM EVSE and has more options.

13. NavyCuda

18,080km

I really need to get a L2 charger at home. I arrived home with <5% battery remaining, with my 120v charger there will be no way I'll have enough power to go to work in the morning. So I'll have to steal the wifes Maxima.

14. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

image.jpeg

15. NavyCuda

I miss my little electric car!

16. NavyCuda

19,020KM

The electric motor has too much torque for bad weather conditions so I finally have a reason to use ECO mode. Eco mode changes the throttle map, effectively turning the Leaf into a slug. Perfect for snow and ice but something I never use for normal driving even if I have to drive nice to get the most range.

17. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

That's a handy gadget, something I'd never have thought of. Never thought I'd say that, but the greyer I get, the slower I get in winter conditions.

18. NavyCuda

After hitting black ice twice in one trip, once almost going over cliff and another becoming lodged in the center median of the coq, I've become a bit gun shy!

19. NavyCuda

20,000km

Getting close to needing the 24,000km service as well as needing to take the car to Nissan so they can do a battery health report. There is also a voluntary recall I've been ignoring, has to do with the ABS system and a sticky relay in cold weather. I've had no issues however.

20. NavyCuda

21,120km

Scheduled my Leaf in for its first battery checkup next month. Good little car that it is!

21. NavyCuda

22,500km

Well I must say that I was convinced early on in regards to the electric car but I'm starting to reach the point where I understand why the electric car is better. I'm starting to look at gasoline/diesel even performance orientated engines with disdain. I'm a person who appreciates where we come from and I respect it but I also like seeing a superior technology flourish and I suppose that's why I fall into the early adopter category.

Performance:

In the realm of 0-100kmk and especially 20-70kmh the leaf can out pass and out accelerate almost any car on the road excluding performance oriented vehicles. This allows passing to occur in significantly shorter distances. Even if during the passing maneuver I was to end up faster than I wanted to be, as soon as I click resume on the cruise control it regens down to the set speed, it feels like the brakes going on and then smoothly locks into the set speed. This makes some passing maneuvers look much more innocent than they really are.

Turning and the bends:

Anyone familiar with Harris road will know what I'm talking about but for those that don't, it's a winding, hilly section of road with a couple of straight stretches and a couple of tight, low speed blind corners. This road can be driven with the right foot never touching the brakes, save for stop signs or slow people. When the road is clear, like late at night and with good conditions the Leaf is very stable into the corners with its low center of gravity. Most corners are taken with throttle modulation, I slow down approaching the corners with full regen, as I enter into the corner the car bleeds speed to the change of direction and in combination with the regen it really starts slowing down. I often have to add throttle controlling the regen rate to hold my desired speed to the apex and then gradually work up the throttle as I pass through the apex. If I set the cruise control at 60kph, I don't have to turn it off in all but two corners.

By comparison there isn't a single internal combustion powered vehicle that I've followed on that road that can maintain a constant speed. Never mind on the hills.

I think the greenies really scared away the mass market appeal of the electric car and attached all these negative connotations for those of us who are not eco-warriors. Internal combustion engines are going to go the way of the hobbiests, much like steam engines. The electric vehicle is better. It still has limitations but the technology already exists to mitigate those limitations and the costs are coming down.

It has nothing to do with saving the environment, it has everything to do with the electric motor being better suited to the job.

22. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

I've done it in the shitty little Ford Focus. No brakes on Harris. Just gears and defensive driving.

Q45 can do it too. Maxi... No... Sadly maxi has no real engine braking.

23. NavyCuda

Oh I know you can do harris road without brakes in a gas car, but keeping a constant speed is much more difficult.

24. stevebc

I stand by my earlier criticisms: useless for anything but short distances, useless in very cold weather, and a drag on the taxpayer. Yes, the acceleration in an electric is far better than an i/c engine, but when the price of electricity goes through the roof, as it must as long as the idiot greenies are setting the policy agenda, then people will be pining for their gas engines.

25. NavyCuda

I can't fault you for that. The technology is getting better, increasing energy cost is a concern though all our hydroelectric power should give us a bit of a buffer for a while. That said, the IC engine just can't compare to equivalent energy costs. It would take a substantial hike in eletricity costs and a corrisponding drop in fuel prices.

Telematic data to 22,368.5km, 3713kWh net consumption from the power pack.

@ $0.12kWh (BC Hyrdo second tier home rate) with 85% charging efficiency: $512.39
    @ $0.40kWh (Rate I read on a forum from somewhere in California) with 85% charging efficency: $1707.98

22,368.5km using the best average economy of the wifes car of 9.5L/100km at current prices of $0.90/L: $2119.12

So an economy car that could do 4l/100km with fuel prices at $0.60/L, could get into the same energy costs as the Leaf at todays energy prices.

Before I had the electric car I totally agreed with you that the government shouldn't give incentives, but I think I was wrong about that. Perhaps cash towards the car itself isn't the best way to go about it. I think infrastructure development that improved our highways as well as being a power source for electric vehicles would be a more palatable choice for the masses. Everyone likes improved highways and putting power in the highway could give rise to the electric truck which could really reduce local transport costs.

26. stevebc

I think the technical challenges would be pretty much insurmountable, but your idea reminded me of slot cars. Remember those, or am I really dating myself here?

http://homeracingworld.com

Now imagine that scaled up and running through the Fraser canyon. Electric trucks, indeed!

27. drogers33

Railroads and the interstate highway system were impossible when they were first proposed. They were built far sooner than predicted as well.

I saw an article on electric race cars using charging that's on sections of the track, still early days admitatly.

28. NavyCuda

Induction, or wireless charging already exists, so basically there would be transmission lines embedded into the highway. So in a way like slot cars, without the slot.

29. NavyCuda

30. NavyCuda

29,900km

Still loving the Leaf! The shitty tires that came with it are starting to show age already though.

I did take the Leaf in for its battery health checkup at 24,000km. Nothing to report.

31. NavyCuda

Picture is too large to post, I'll have to do it from home.

32. NavyCuda

This picture doesn't show all the damage. I was hit hard enough that I was pushed into the curb, the right side A-arm has collapsed. Car is currently undriveable and is sitting at the body shop now. I hope they write it off. I fear people working on my car, I worked in the body shop industry and I wouldn't want any of them working on my car.
    poor_little_leaf.jpg

33. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Jesus, looks bad.
    Are you alright?
    It's a pretty small car, how'd it do on driver protection?

34. NavyCuda

It's a very stable car. Both Jake and I are okay. I certainly feel safe. I didn't even realize I was curbed until after I got out of the way and saw the damage.

35. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

That's good to hear. I remember when I got t-boned the damage was far greater than I would have expected for the low speed.
    That and my neck hurt a lot more than it should have.
    I'm sure you know, but I'd take a day or two to assess personal injury before you say anything definitive

36. NavyCuda

You're not the only person to say that. I'm thinking of going to a doctor to get an examination to be on the safe side but I can't say I feel abnormal. Neck is a little bit stiff but not more than I've experienced from a long day at work.

37. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

It took two days for my neck to hurt. It started stiff but was really painful 2 days later. Fortunately I had a good benefits plan at the time, and I hit the physio right away so i was good to go in about a week or two.
    Plus there's no harm in getting a doctor's visit on paper. Best case the doc says you're good to go

38. stevebc

Damn, that looks bad- glad you're ok!

39. NavyCuda

Physically I am, but I'm finding the emotional aspect of the collision much greater than I expected. I miss my little car. Ticked over to 30,500km yesterday.

40. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

Did you have replacement insurance?

41. NavyCuda

Yes I do. I'm hoping the damage is enough that they write the car off. I like the car but once they're fixed they're never the same and I wouldn't mind a 2016 with the 30kWh battery.

42. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

Yep any time I get in an accident, I pray that they write it off. I don't want that shit anymore after it's been banged up and fixed.

Messes up your resale value too.

43. stevebc

Between your video card going and this, it's been a lousy week, eh?

44. Testicular Cancer

Testicular Cancer Gay Santa Founders

its a shame that your back is so sore you can no longer work full time

45. NavyCuda

Not my way. I just want my car replaced!

Well it certainly isn't what I had planned, but there could be worse things. I'm greatful that this is the only kind of drama I have to deal with in my life!

46. NavyCuda

Well the other driver took full liability for the collision. There is $10,100 damage to my car. They don't want to write it off and it seems no one is considering how bad the deprecation is on the car, how I have abnormally high KM for that class of car. A quick google search found that 2015 Nissan Leafs are selling used for $20,000, so mine with a $10,000 impact and 30,500km is going to be worth significantly less.

The lesson here is, don't bother fucking around with third party insurance at least here in BC. ICBC might be a pain in the ass, but they answer their phones and they actually get things done in a reasonable time frame.

47. stevebc

Drive it 'til it drops, then.

48. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

That's shitty to hear, although I have had good luck with BCAA in all insurance regards

49. NavyCuda

I was hoping to trade it in on a 2017/2018 if they have 300km of range and don't look like a turd

50. NavyCuda

Why have insurance if they're just going to screw you around?!

I went to Nissan today, if I traded in the Leaf, having a $10,000 collision on the car means I would lose at least $5000 in trade in value. Why exactly should I have to eat that loss? Isn't that why I bought replacement insurance?