1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

"Whatever it takes to save the Earth, cause Granola girls gets 'em all moist."

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuels' started by NavyCuda, Jun 24, 2015.

1. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

Passed 3000km today. I got to drive at night and the halogens... well... they're crap. So I kind of wish I got the SL due to the LED headlights and the solar panel to help charge the 12volt system but all the other features I'm satisfied with. I'm entertaining the idea of buying the LED headlights and swapping them out but it's pretty over priced so I'll have to live with the halogens

2. Dagmaar

Dagmaar Crossbow Man Founders

That would tick me off . These manufacturers should put the same level of lights in all of them , shouldn't have to pay more for a safety feature ffs ( basic safety like lighting , I mean ) . It's like if you got the base model and the seat belts were actually a rope you tie around you ...you had to get a higher model for a decent seat belt ....total bs .

3. NavyCuda

I guess I should clarify. The pattern of light is excellent. The headlights are worlds better than the 2007 Focus, but they're not much better than the 94 Maxima. They're not as good as my '94 Q45, though to be fair the Q has a four lamp system and with high beams on rivals HID headlights so I can see why Nissan didn't bother going to HIDs in the Q45 until the late '90s.

I just expected more from the headlights. Are they unsafe, I would say no. Are they what I would want for the price I paid for the car, no. I think the real problem is that you can only get packages and you can't order the car the way that you want. I should be able to say, I want LED headlights, Navigation, Solar panel but cloth seats.

4. Dagmaar

Just really irks me these manufacturers eff us on the good stuff .
    The truck I looked at for example ....was about $15,000 more because I wanted things like the heated and air conditioned leather seats , push button start , wheels that weren't tiny etc . Ridiculous prices for that stuff ! Let's face it , once I drove the one with all the bells and whistles , I was like " hell yes , I want that , " ...
    We're not even talking different engines and trannies , just convenience things , better headlights as well . It's a total ripoff , for sure .

5. NavyCuda

Followed another Leaf today, sold from the dealership I bought mine from!

I've been driving the Leaf a lot harder lately since I no longer have to worry about range.

6. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

I love good headlight, I want to be able to see your soul when I am driving.

Shawn

7. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

More like when "I run you over".

:p

8. Shawn

You have to be driving to run something over ;)

Shawn

9. NavyCuda

Apparently Nissan has raised the incentive from $3500 to $5000... Figures, right after I bought the car!

10. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

It'd be worth asking if it's retroactive
    Edit:
    Not immunity. Dunno why i said that lol

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  11. NavyCuda

Had to pass some fool today, hit 140 km/h! No problem getting there either.

12. Shawn

Were you falling?

Shawn

13. NavyCuda

No, going uphill actually. Little car goes pretty good. Most people think an electric car can't go fast but totally not the case! Top speed is lacking, as apparently the top speed is 93MPH but I've never found out what it is in kmh...

14. NavyCuda

So it seems locking the cruise control in at 130km/h sucks up the kWh... For my short hwy 1 stint, 264th to 200th street, going 130 vs 105 uses about about 10km extra of range.

15. NavyCuda

I passed 3800km today. Tomorrow will be five weeks with the car. Friday will be the end of the month and I should have my consumption data worked out over the weekend. Right now, I've used approximately $60 of electricity based off my rough calculations.

16. TopSecret

Guess when he got the car and when we had a power outage!

image.jpg

17. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

Is that $3.08 per day? About $92/month before taxes, daily driving on mostly flat and level ground?

18. NavyCuda

That's just a random day that happened to be selected. Remember that's our total household consumption as well.

So you can see starting june 21 forward the daily average has gone up.

19. NavyCuda

Hit 145 passing some slow cunt today.

20. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Slow cunts are the worst type of cunt

21. NavyCuda

I can live with the speed limit. I'm often at or just above the speed limit. Under the speed limit... not cool.

22. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

i tend to rock the speed limit on the highway if in commuting. I stick in the right lane and cruise. Course im also driving at 5:00am...
    Im fine with people doing ten less than the limit provided they stay right and traffic isnt heavy

23. NavyCuda

4200km, approximately $80 in electricity.

24. stevebc

I have to admit that's impressive! $80 is a tankful for me and gets me about 500km or thereabouts.

25. NavyCuda

I occasionally miss driving my Q45 or the 300zx, but I don't miss the fuel and maintenance concerns.

26. NavyCuda

I just received the scrap-it program cheque. I have to say that while I didn't originally agree with the incentives, but chose to use them anyways, I'm glad I did. I have come to think that the electric car incentives are a worth while investment if they actually encourage people to buy an electric car like I did.

27. stevebc

I was just reading the Edmunds review of the Leaf, and it said the max range was 80 miles. Which doesn't work for me. Kamloops is the nearest city and is about 55 miles away, so a round trip is not possible without a minimum 4 hour recharge IF I have the 240v charger.

Which limits it to my work commute of 12 minutes, and that's just not good enough to justify the expense.

Too bad, the costs to operate mentioned above were interesting enough that I looked up the Leaf. Funny though- the local Nissan dealer doesn't list any in stock, and makes no mention of the Leaf anywhere on it's website.

28. NavyCuda

On the charging map from plugshare there appears to be one DC fast charging station at the Tournament Capital Centre. There appears to be a number of L2 chargers in town too.

The problem with the DC fast chargers is that they do have a negative effect on battery lifespan, and you're shit out of luck if someone else is using the charger ahead of you.

I would guess that the next generation Leaf will have the range you need though.

29. Dagmaar

That little car sounds quite impressive to me , a great alternative in many settings for sure .

30. NavyCuda

I leave the Leaf plugged in all day at work, it's usually finished charging by noon. The last hour or so of charging is trickle charging to top off the battery so there is at least 80% battery by 11. It takes ~51% battery to get to work and about 46% to get home.

In this warm weather I have finally figured out the ideal time to tell the climate control to turn on so that when I unplug the car to go home from work it's already nice and chilly inside. It takes 20-25 minutes to chill the cabin when it's close to 30°C. I don't point the vents at me unless I get into the car when it's hot. I cannot say enough good things about the AC in the Leaf!

31. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

So you can program the a/c to come on before you even get in the car?
    Fucking genius

32. NavyCuda

You can set a timer, or tell it to from your mobile phone.

33. Dagmaar

No kidding . Every car could use that feature , I love it !

34. TopSecret

I drove it today and it wasn't too bad. Wasn't a long drive or anything so don't expect some sort of review.

My opinion after an hour drive was:

Pros:

Smooth and quiet
    Fast, excellent acceleration
    Love the engine braking
    Comfortable seats

Cons:

The view, both front and rear, was atrocious IMO
    Personally I missed the engine and tranny sounds (I judge my speed that way without looking at the speedo)
    Bit more powah would be nice but that's the German in me talking

Not bad but I love my maxima!

35. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Blind spots are getting worse in newer cars it seems

36. NavyCuda

I will admit the Maxima has better visibility but it isn't terrible. My old focus was worse, as is my dad's new focus.

After fixing the idle in the maxima, she has slightly more powerful AC than the Leaf.

37. NavyCuda

6708km and I still haven't had to stop for gas yet.

38. Dagmaar

Day-um ! Got to like that !

39. NavyCuda

7500km.

It seems I was rather low on my monthly kilometer estimate. 4500km until my first service, rotate the tires.

I'll try to get the Leaf up on the hoist, get some pictures and give my impressions of the underside.

Without question, I can say I wouldn't want anything other than electric for a daily driver.

I've gotten back into my old driving habits so my energy efficiency is falling off but I still have plenty of charge remaining on both ends of my commute.

40. NavyCuda

8400km.

The Leaf has excellent brakes, but they're significantly better than the economy, thin tires that the car comes with. It doesn't take much more than a concerned braking effort in dry weather for the ABS to kick in. When I have to replace the tires, I'm going to put a set of more performance orientated tires onto the Leaf, even if it costs me some range. I'm not a fan of ABS in the dry.

2016 Leaf is getting an optional 30kw battery. According to my driving habits, which my economy has fallen from 6.7km/kWh to 6.2km/kWh, a 30kw battery likely would give somewhere around 161km of range, verses the estimated 124km of range I get driving like a normal person. Driving for efficiency would increase the potential range of the 2016 Leaf to 174km.

41. NavyCuda

So a bridge is out on #7 and I had to take the long way home. Checking with google maps I was going to be at the limit of my range with a mountain to climb that sucks up 20km just to go up. So my boss lent me is mini GP to take home and he took the Leaf home.

I had to wear ear plugs, a performance gasoline car is much too loud for me!

After checking the travelled mileage in the mini, I would have made it home with some range to spare in the Leaf. After 10km in the mini I was thinking of turning around and chancing it in the Leaf! I miss my quiet electric car!

42. NavyCuda

10,007km today!

At this rate the Leaf will pay for itself!

43. NavyCuda

10007/6.2*1.2*0.12 = $232.42 worst case price on hydro.

44. NavyCuda

10,700km today.

armed_leaf.jpg

45. NavyCuda

11,700km

So I recently got the cabin airfilter for the Leaf. Nissan also specs a unique heavy duty brake fluid for the Leaf. When I asked the parts guy about it he didn't know anything about. The service adviser tried to suggest to me to use aftermarket brake fluid. That doesn't inspire confidence when Nissan has spec'ed and packaged brake fluid just for the Leaf.

I've never had good luck with dealership work so I'm seriously contemplating letting the battery warranty be voided to avoid letting the dealership remove my battery.

46. stevebc

That is odd- you'd think brake fluid was brake fluid. I do recall years ago seeing some labelled as "disc brake fluid", but I dismissed that as mere marketing.

47. NavyCuda

I generally tend to feel the same way. However, the Leaf has a pretty stout braking system, the ABS does like to get involved rather quickly on a firm stop, but overall the braking system is hardly used and rarely sees any real temperatures. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and the braking system doesn't really respond well to water contamination, so my guess is a brake fluid formula with better water resistance. Or it's a sales gimmick because there is nothing else to do to the car. Whatever the case, I want Nissan brake fluid and I want to do it at the specified interval.

48. NavyCuda

Did the 12,000km service today, at 12,030km.

Rotated the tires, put never-seez on the studs, lubricated hinges and locks, torqued lug nuts to spec, inspected all exposed components for wear or damage.

49. NavyCuda

15,070km

Well the cold weather is starting to kick in. Once it gets below 3C the battery performance is measurably worse.

Today was 0 - -1C on my commute into work, on a normal, 10C or higher day I'd get to work, with about 49%, today I got to work with 28% battery remaining. Admitting I drive the car harder now than I did when I first got it, but I've been driving the same way for a while, enough to see the difference temperature makes.

50. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

That's pretty substantial actually!
    Do you keep it in a garage at night or do you charge in the cold temperatures?