1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

What bike do you ride?

Discussion in 'Gasoline Powered' started by Testicular Cancer, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Testicular Cancer

Testicular Cancer Gay Santa Founders

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

81 Virago, slightly modified.

and you?............

2. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

Sure lol

And he is a pic of you riding it:
    [​IMG]

-put picture in spoiler tags- TS

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  3. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

This stuff is for the nsfw area... keep it there, please and thank you.

Spoiler tags if it has to be durrty pics! Goshdarnit!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. Testicular Cancer

BTW that was a bike. what you guys ride out there in the prairies seems to be different than here on the coast

5. TopSecret

While I'm not a fan of bikes and don't have any desire to drive one, I have always enjoyed being a passenger.

My sister's ex boyfriend back in ze fatherland used to have some sort of Yamaha (I think) back in the early/ mid nineties... He'd take me for a spin around the block a lot of times.

Aaaah, that was fun.

The thing looked a bit like a dirt bike but wasn't really a dirt bike...

Kind of a bit like this... Maybe a bit more "sporty":
    [​IMG]

I can't remember exactly, I just remember there was a red one and a green one.

6. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

My dad had something like you describe, it was called an enduro I think? Part street bike, part dirt bike.

7. Testicular Cancer

[​IMG]

my old bike. fun to ride except my feet and hands would go numb after 20 minutes from the engine and tire vibrations on the street

8. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

2013 KLR 650

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Testicular Cancer

nice. the newer KLR's look wayyyyyy better than the ones i look at a few years ago.

10. Kagia

I dunno man...

They're both alright, but something about a gen1...
    They look pretty badass!

11. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

Added to wish list!

I just moved to this area recently and have alot of trails to explore.

12. Kagia

It's a cool bike for sure, but if it's mostly trails you're interested in, you may want to consider something a bit smaller/lighter.

The KLR is a big, heavy beast. It is capable of doing trails, but hardly ideal if trails will be the primary use.

I got it because I want something I can strap a ton of gear onto and ride a few hours away on the highway for weekend camping trips.

13. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

Good point. The only obstacles are the roads getting to them. So I suppose at the very least, plate and lights.

However, thinking more about it, we want to do some get away camping which would require some gear. Fair amount of crown land around us just waiting to be slept on.

14. Kagia

The DRZ 400 seems like a good choice if you don't plan to spend much time on the highway, but for extended periods of highway use, the KLR is a much better choice.

15. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

I remember them being called "scramblers". Fun bikes, first bke I tried was a 125cc Yamaha very similar to the one TS posted.

I no longer have any pictures of them, but the 2 bikes I owned were first, a '72 Honda 500 4 cyl that had a Supertrapp exhaust and the no.3 cylinder had a noticeable piston slap, but dead reliable, and later, a '79 Honda CB750F that had rear sets, a Corbin saddle, steering damper, small fairing.

I finally had to give up the bike: couldn't justify the expense and didn't ride it often.

16. stevebc

Kagia- your first pic of the KLR:

Thompson River, between Spence's Bridge and Ashcroft… I'm guessing the Venables Valley road?

17. Kagia

Aww of all people, Steve, I thought you would have nailed that one!

It is the Thompson River, but a bit further up. About halfway between Cache Creek and Kamloops. I can't remember which FSR exactly. Battle Creek maybe?

I've driven past Venables Valley road more times than I can count on my way to the interior. Always wanted to check it out, but never actually gone up there.

Googled it one day and it turns out there's some kind of weird Hari Krishna colony in there?

18. stevebc

Damn, you're right- it's just before Walhachin. I should have got that… <chagrined>

As to the Venables, yeah there's been a bunch of Hari Krishnas there for decades, quietly doing their thing. I used to play music with one of them- a really good blues guitar player.

19. Kagia

Seems like such an odd place for something like that. Literally in the middle of nowhere.

What instrument do you play?

20. stevebc

I no longer do the music thing, but I was a bass player. Started playing guitar at 14, played in too many bands to remember, mostly the legion hall/wedding kind of stuff, and finally lost all interest in it. I just told my other musical friend here in town that all my gear (amp, guitars/mike stand and other peripherals) was his to use, sell, give away or whatever he wanted.

It wasn't worth a lot, being used, and I couldn't be bothered to haul it to Kamloops and put it on consignment.

21. Kagia

[​IMG]Spences Bridge last weekend.
    [​IMG]

Anyone else been out lately?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  22. stevebc

Poor Spences Bridge. Not even a gas station anymore, and they're taking down the old bridge completely now. It had been closed to vehicle traffic for god knows how long, but was open to foot traffic. Apparently though, it wasn't safe even for that any longer. I always had a soft spot for Spences Bridge though- we used to stop and eat at the Sportsman Motel cafe when we went through the canyon.

There's pretty much nothing there now but the pub, but the town is gorgeous. For the right kind of person, it could be paradise, but you'd have to know what you're getting into. A quick look at real estate there and the prices seem optimistic to me. I'd be looking at the assessed value, which as I recall can found online, if anyone's into the dig.

23. Kagia

The bridge is gone now!

I couldn't believe it.

It was closed to vehicle traffic for quite a while, then they opened it up again, then closed it again, and now it's gone!

I wonder how much it cost to tear it out of there. Should have just left it open to foot traffic.

I like the town. I never go to that pub but I like going to The Packing House for lunch, dinner, coffee, etc. They even have live music.

24. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

I dont trust other drivers enough to ride. I love to ride but not with the drivers we have around here.

Shawn

25. Kagia

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally got some luggage mounted on the KLR.

Ready for some motorcycle camping trips!

-fixed image links, first link does not work-TS

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  26. stevebc

Not seeing any pictures ^

27. Kagia

First motorcycle camping trip ever.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  28. Kagia

TS,

How did you fix that last pic?

I've posted pics on here before, and I'm not doing anything differently, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore...

29. NavyCuda

Are you manually entering the BBcode to put in the images or using the editor buttons to add the pictures?

30. Kagia

Tried both.

Last attempt was was with editor buttons.

31. TopSecret

This is what your code looks like:

Code:
    [IMG]http://[URL=http://s711.photobucket.com/user/alwaysangling/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150517_163124_zps58regfty.jpg.html][IMG]http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww114/alwaysangling/Mobile%20Uploads/20150517_163124_zps58regfty.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    There is an unnecessary image tag followed by an unnecessary url and then at the end you have both unnecessary image and url closing tags.

This is what it should look like:
    Code:
    [IMG]http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww114/alwaysangling/Mobile%20Uploads/20150517_163124_zps58regfty.jpg[/IMG]
    You always end up with extra image tags and an extra url so I'm not sure what you're copying or at which point. You always seem to have that extra url but lately it's been getting extra image tags all over the place and that fucks it up. The extra url is unnecessary too though.

When I used photobucket, it used to give you a bb/forum code with tags to copy and paste...
    Easiest other way is to go to your photobucket, click on the pic you wanna post until you only have that pic open in your browser and then copy the link up top and use the editor button to insert the image.

32. stevebc

I see photobucket dicked with their site AGAIN- now, in order to find the links for posting, there is no longer the "gear wheel" icon in the upper right corner of your pic, you have to move your cursor to the left side of the pic, and then the links appear.

What the hell is it with pb that they always keep changing things there???

33. TopSecret

When photobucket changed from free to pay for options that are normally free (I think it was editing that finally sent me elsewhere), I went to imgur and haven't looked back.

34. Kagia

35. Kagia

^RIP^

High sided on the way to my grandma's place in the interior on the weekend. The bike is trashed and I think it will be a write off. :(

36. NavyCuda

You're okay though?

37. Kagia

Very sore all over, missing a bit of skin, I think mildly concussed, but other than that, no real injuries.

I consider myself extremely lucky, considering it was a high side crash. That shit was crazy. I could have fared much worse.

38. NavyCuda

I don't know what a high side crash is.

I do know that the couple of incidents I had with bicycles and a dirt bike made me pretty shy of two wheeled people movers.

39. Kagia

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  40. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Good to hear you're around to tell us about it!
    Bike's can fuck you up pretty good.

41. stevebc

Ouch! Glad you're ok.

42. Kagia

Yep I'll live.

Just waiting to see if they plan to write it off or fix it. I really hope it's a write off. I don't want it now that it's been mangled like that.

I think the frame is bent, so they'll probably write it off.

43. Testicular Cancer

any pictures?

44. Kagia

I actually didn't take any pics of the damage and the bike is gone now. Written off.

Bent forks, mangled steering stem, mangled crash bars, destroyed luggage racks, busted fender, busted side fairing, dented gas tank, damaged windscreen and handguard, and I have a feeling the frame was bent.

Probably gonna buy a new DR650 tomorrow.

Here is a pic from the ride home with the mangled bike.

Our last ride...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  45. NavyCuda

I have a tendency to form an emotional attachment to cars/machines. Even though I hated the focus, I felt terrible dropping it off to be scrapped.

I couldn't imagine how it would feel to have something damaged and then written off.

46. Kagia

I wrote off a few vehicles in my younger days. It sucks for sure.

This one was no exception.

Ol' Willy definitely had his flaws. Heavy, underpowered, poor suspension, burned a bit of oil, but I really liked him.

We had some great times together and he never let me down. He took me to some cool places and it was always a fun adventure. He will be missed. :(

47. Kagia

The new DR650.

[​IMG]

48. TopSecret

Could make a little review thread about it after driving it for a while!

I did like the green on your old bike, this one is... Less noticeable.

Doggy likes it!

49. Kagia

The green was nice for the hi-viz factor for sure. I like to be seen for safety reasons, but I love white vehicles.

I'll be taking off all the decals, adding a slightly bigger white fuel tank, and swapping out the grey headlight shroud for a white one, swapping out the seat for a more comfortable one in blue, blue fork boots, and some white powdercoating on some of the smaller parts.

So far I really like it. Compared to the big old KLR, it feels like I'm riding a little dirtbike. I love it! You don't have to work nearly as harf to get a wheelie out of it compared to the KLR either. :)

It's going to suck for long highway trips, but for my riding needs (long hwy trips and lots of dirt,) it will always be a compromise. No bike will do a great job of both.

50. stevebc

All I see is a picture of a kitten that, when clicked, produces a blank page.

You did say you're were going to paint it white, though...