1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

The Trolley Problem

Discussion in 'Formal Science' started by TopSecret, Apr 18, 2015.

1. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

I came across this today. It's a question of ethics, a moral dilemma.

The basic problem goes as follows:

There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track.

You have two options:
    (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track.
    (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person.

Which is the correct choice?

The idea is that people will make different decisions in different situations based on their morals and values.

In the basic problem most people would choose to kill one to save the five (I would have too). However that changes if certain details are added, such as the one person is your spouse/ mother/ father, the five people are screaming, the five are criminals, etc..

Found it quite interesting.

2. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

I'd put the lever in the half way position and hope that it derails the trolly.

3. StoneHorse

StoneHorse Archer Founders

In Bold. Five would die. Family comes first. No contest.

4. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

"What if…?"

-the basis for pretty much all fiction. Or as Stephen King put it: "create sympathy for the characters, then turn the monsters loose."

I'm with Stonehorse.

5. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

Depends I guess... If they were terrorists, I would go for as many as possible.

6. Dagmaar

Dagmaar Crossbow Man Founders

They still tie people to railway tracks ?
    :p

7. StoneHorse

Snidely Whiplash is alive & well. ;)

8. Dagmaar

Lol . When I have nothing of value to add , humour is my only escape .

9. StoneHorse

I try to learn something new everyday and laugh at least once a day. There are some days where finding humor is difficult.

10. canadianpsyko

canadianpsyko Chief Grand Breakage-er Staff Cam Founders

Squish 'em all.

11. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

There is a valid point; are you on or off shift at the trainyard? Is it someone else's responsibility?

Or thinking further, if the trolly is diverted from its orginal destination will it have a collision and derail a chemical carrier?

12. Dagmaar

I think we need Rocky and Bullwinkle for this particular dilemma .

13. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

Or you could divert the trolley away from the tied up people towards the one person and then try to warn that person that a trolley is coming.

14. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

For some reason, this thread reminds me of this one-

[​IMG]

15. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

Depends on which family member it is I guess

Shawn

16. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man