1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Telescopes

Discussion in 'Earth and Space' started by TopSecret, Jun 2, 2015.

1. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

I have always been fascinated by space. My family would always comment on me being a night owl. I spent a lot of that night time gazing at the skies.

For the last few years I have been wanting to get a telescope. The area we live in at the moment gets really nice and dark and has very little light pollution. Perfect for star gazing.

Does anyone here own a telescope or have experience with them? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this. The only thing I do know is that it will be an expensive hobby, but that's ok!

What should one look for in a telescope, especially being new to the whole star gazing thing? Good/ bad models? Are the ones you can take pics with worth it?

Any input will be appreciated!

2. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

Don't skimp on a cheap telescope. I have had one since I was a kid. Great gift from the parents, but not much more power then binoculars I don't think. Though I have seen some pretty cool things over the years (Jupiter, Moon, Sun, Mars). Try and get one that you can look at the sun as well. Mine had an additional lens, but I did see some melting internally.

3. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

Agreed. I know zip about telescopes but was advised long ago to avoid what are called "xmas telescopes"- cheaply made, flashy, looks great on xmas morning, but often poor optics.

4. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

The first time I took my wife to our cabin in the chilcotin she couldn't believe the stars she'd never seen before.