1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Talisker - Single Malt Scotch Whiskey aged Ten years

Discussion in 'Thirst Quenchers' started by NavyCuda, Sep 15, 2015.

1. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

To start off with, I have almost zero experience with premium spirits. I have plenty of experience with a common, cheap cinnamon whiskey otherwise known as fireball. So bear with me!

[​IMG]
    http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/249680

I purchased my Talisker through my local Liquor Store. I'm not normally driven to purchase such things but special thanks to top secret I was introduced to a posh character known as Mr. Burling who enjoys a 25 year old Talisker. I would have to order the 25 off the internet and it is well outside of my price range. So the aged 10 year would have to do.

Packaging:

The aged 10 years comes in a mostly blue box with a graphic surrounding the box depicting a rough sea smashing against the rocks of the isle of the skye. The printed portion of the box is made with a fairly heavy paper board. There is a liner of double corrugated cardboard, flush with the sides of the box, however the top and bottom of the box is has no additional lining.

The Bottle:

On my first inspection, none of the cheap beverages I'm accustomed to are this clear. Also it does not use a screw cap but rather a cork with something that looks and feels like a painted wood product with knurled edges to make it easy to remove the cork.

The Contents:

The smell fills the sinuses, it's nothing I understand or can readily identify. If I was to call the smell anything, it would be luxurious and industrial.

My first taste, I have to say I had too much and it was over whelming. This has bite, it is clearly intended to be sipped and appreciated. I'm learning to get a small bit on my tongue and try to smell at the same time to get the full gambit of flavors. I find the flavor changes over time and you get a few different tastes. As I taste the Talisker I start to understand how they are describing it on some of the other websites.

The first and almost distinct flavor is that of biting into an apple. The flavor explodes in much the same way as when you bite into a juicy apple.

The second distinct flavor is of smoke, like smoked meat for example. It has a little tinge as the flavor is transitioning. The tinge reminds me of the smells around older industrial equipment, steam engines, etc.

There are a number of other flavors but I lack the palette to describe them. It does however leave you with a very warm sensation after each sip that lasts quite a while.

I find this to be a very enjoyable sipping beverage, but at the price point not one I can afford to have on a regular basis.

2. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Good review!
    Im a fan of whiskeys myself, maybe next time im looking at the glenfiddich I'll splurge and try this instead. At near $100 though ill have to really want it lol

3. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

It was the Wife's 30th and she wanted a scotch that neither of us had had so I had to choose one and I happened to see

[​IMG]
    At $120 taxes in it's a pricey bottle for a normal day of drinking but still a DAMNED fine scotch. We (myself, wife and tenant) partook in it a before looking up online. Our view was strong smoke and peat with an after taste that was indistinct/nutty.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiski...moroso-cask-finish-distillers-edition-whisky/

I'm not as well versed in the single malts as the blended. However I've always enjoyed expanding my knowledge of good any good booze.

This one will be on my payment list for services rendered.