1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Swords?

Discussion in 'Sharp Objects and Pointy Sticks' started by Ken, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Who else here has swords?
    Here is mine, it is a European Style Hand and a Half sword
    Made by Windlass
    [​IMG]Not a survival sword by any means, thats what I have my knives and machetes for. but a cool blade, designed for combat. Cuts pretty smooth

2. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

John Gage Tactical Gladius, as seen here!

3. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

4. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

I think a (short) sword is possibly a good tool for resisting home invasion. No legal issues, no worrying about who is downrange if you miss, and it would be utterly unexpected if you're the invader. Just imagine that you've successfully kicked in someone's door, and you're charging in to crush resistance and take over-

…only to find yourself being attacked with a sword of all things… you can ponder that unexpected turn of events while picking up your severed fingers/hand from the floor…

Years ago, when I was in my "black light posters and plaster cobras" phase, I did a deal with a friend and ended up with a cheap Spanish "decorative" sword… actually, more of a sabre, really. I know less than nothing about swords, but even I could see this was not intended for actual use. I sometimes wonder what happened to that thing.

5. NavyCuda

My biggest fear with using a sword for self-defense is the mess it would make. A person would have to put new floors in afterwards.

6. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Except this is Canada so I could see the headache of explaining why you dared to do anything except wait for the police

Fixed broken quote - NavyCuda

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2015
  7. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

Absolutely.

I wouldn't be any less afraid of legal issues.

8. NavyCuda

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

9. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Oh absolutely. Don't get me wrong. I have a machete under my bed and I train in a martial art that emphasizes strike violently and lethally, but I know if I ever end up protecting myself or my loved ones I'll be the one on the defensive from the law.

10. NavyCuda

Yeah it's a sad state of affairs that we have to fear our government more than the criminals.

11. stevebc

I was in fear for my life and those of my loved ones, and I'm not saying another word until my lawyer gets here.

12. stevebc

You're probably right, and it's way past time to put the "law" on the defensive. Self-represent, make a big public stink about the ineffectiveness of police to protect citizens, their apparent zeal in prosecuting the victims, etc etc.
    In other words, put the police on trial.

13. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

I have always wanted a WWII Japanese samurai swords but have never been able to afford one in good condition

This is a mind set issue, and is categorized as problem 2.

The list is as follows:

Problems:

1) winning at all costs
    2) everything thing that is not problem number 1

You should spend exactly zero time on number two until number one has been accomplished

Shawn

14. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

Some how I'm pretty sure that Navy is going to get number 1 solved and then complain about the mess no matter how the problem is solved.