1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Stop drinking soo much!

Discussion in 'Life Science' started by Canadian1911, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Canadian1911

Canadian1911 Crossbow Man

2. Canadian1911

I work outside all day, in the summer, including today, and I don't drink that much. Only when I am thirsty. I'm fine.

I never counted how much I drank because I felt it irrelevant. Glad to know I was correct to not bother.

3. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I watched the first minute and turned it off. I decided to finish it because I was hoping it would get better.
    They attempt to debunk cramps as a symptom of dehydration. One of the symptoms of dehydration is cramped muscles. This is from 9 years first aid experience.

I'll agree the 8 glasses a day thing is false, but by the time you feel thirsty, you've already let it go to long.
    A general rule of thumb is to watch your urine.
    If it's anything but clear, you're doing it wrong.

This piece was also accurate in that water is the best option. Gatorade, etc are not as good as pure and clean water.

Though I find it very negligent they don't mention that most of your water loss in exercise is sweat, not peeing. Thats why when I work a ten hour day in the sun, and I get 8 litres of water in me, I still don't piss.

I'd also be wary of any "science" published by College Humour.

4. Canadian1911

It seems then, that most people, most of the time are doing it wrong, since urine is commonly accepted to be yellow. It's only happened a few times in my life, that I remember at least, that my urine was ever clear.

At least me employer provides free water for employees as well as an air-conditioned kiosk to cool-off for a minute, if need be.

Just like yesterday, the wind was too strong and the Zipline ended up being closed my entire shift... I walked along the path, and was eventually able to take this photo, while getting paid for doing nothing or whatever I pleased..... that's the beauty of getting paid per hour!

[​IMG]

5. Davies

Davies Pikeman

I have to agree with Ken there. When im driving my big truck at work and the AC has decided to take the day off i can drink 6 litres of water easily. Gatorade of other sports drinks are fine if your already hydrated. Just remeber that you dont have to be doing hard work to become dehydrated. Just sitting in the heat for extended periods of time will do it.

6. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

The biggest reason I have ever found to stay hydrated, is it prevents gall stones. I've been told they're the most painful thing in the world

7. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Also then that means you've rarely been properly hydrated

8. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

Kidney stones and yes they are quite painful.

I spent about 5 hours passing one (I was very very lucky). It was July and I wasn't drinking enough, I still have to remind myself often to stop and hydrate.

I threw up from the pain (first time ever and I had a burst appendix and broken bones and a few surgeries), I felt the need to go to the bathroom every 2min, my bladder felt full but wasn't, I couldn't sit down because it would send spikes of pain through my lower body. The pain came in waves, every wave worse than the one before. Until about 2 hours in it would occasionally seem over just to start all over again.

I could feel the stone move through my body... The pain started in the upper flank, felt like a cramp and slowly moved down towards the kidneys, getting worse and more intense.

Until suddenly it popped (just as I was led into the ER exam area after waiting for about 4 hours) and went away as quickly as it came on.

The whole area felt sore for about 3 days after. I actually had two stones but got even more lucky that I only felt a small cramp for about 5min when the second one went the next day. I'm guessing it was the muscle relaxant meds I was given.

Also it's not just lack of hydration that brings on kidney stones. Large amounts of certain foods and drinks can cause them as well.

9. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

I try to drink enough that if I'm sweating hard I still have to urinate every couple hours. Urine is clear at that point in time. If I don't have enough hydration I get wicked headaches.

10. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Right. I knew that.
    I blame the vodka.

11. Canadian1911

Unfortunately, I am at a higher risk of Kidney Stones, since my dad has already been hospitalized for two and has had them both removed. Not at the same time of course, years in-between but still, they are hereditary.

12. NavyCuda

I don't believe that's how they work. Kidney stones are actually just crystallized minerals and salts which is a result of dehydration.

13. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I think you can be predisposed though. Some people are more susceptible to them, and I'd imagine the circumstances resulting in the predisposition could be genetic

14. NavyCuda

While I'm not a medical professional by any means, I'm not convinced that genetics plays much part in chemistry. When water becomes saturated with salt, the salt will start to crystallize and fall out of the water. Once that initial crystal has formed there is now something for the rest of the salt to attach to. Even if the brine solution is diluted with fresh water, the crystallized salt will resist becoming a solution again. If you are chronically dehydrated the rate of expansion of the crystal will exceed the amount being reintroduced into the solution before the object gets large enough to be dislodged and painfully passed.

15. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I mean the basic chemistry of it applies to everyone, but, and I'm just guessing here so don't take this to the bank, if someone had a condition that decreased the efficiency of the kidneys or something, it could increase the risk?

Taken from Google
    And the Mayo clinic website also indicates that metabolic disorders can put you at risk as well

16. NavyCuda

Interesting find, learn something new everyday, thank you!

17. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

When Ken says clear he doesn't mean your piss looks like water or has no color at all he means this:

[​IMG]

If your piss is like 7 or 8 you need to be chugging water and a good amount of it

Shawn

18. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Yes, thank you. I hadn't thought of looking that chat up.
    Good resource though

19. Canadian1911

in that case, I think I am good.