1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Stereograms

Discussion in 'Life Science' started by TopSecret, Jun 8, 2015.

1. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

I actually had to look up the proper name. I only ever knew it as "picture within picture".

Always loved doing them, still do. Though for some people it's very difficult. I can't do it on computer myself, I would have to print them out and go from there.

Here's a random example, I don't know what might be within the picture.

[​IMG]

Always thought they were neat. Not sure how it works though in regards to the eyes and brain.

2. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

Looks like shredded paper. Too much Freddy for you.

3. TopSecret

Lol.

Freddy rules!

You do know how to make the picture within the picture appear, don't you?!

4. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

No...

5. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

Try looking at it just slightly cross eyed. The "picture" should appear then. In this case, I get more of a shape than a picture, but the depth is impressive.

Something similar are those stereo pictures you can only see with those blue lens/red lens glasses. Which reminds me- now that I'm in the big city (Kamloops), I'll see if I can find some, as NASA sometimes posts stereo pics.

6. TopSecret

Stereograms are kind of 3D without glasses, aren't they?

I've always wondered if you actually do end up cross eyed, because it sure feels that way.

I used to get these in a comic magazine. They would also frequently have the kind you are talking about, steve. Those comics had a lot of great stuff now that I think about it.

Anyway, the way they explained how to see the stereogram was to bring your nose close to the picture while focusing on a spot on said picture. But don't actually focus as though you want to see something, more like you want to see through the whole picture.
    Then usually after a minute or two my vision would get blurry, at which point you were supposed to slowly pull the picture away from your face until you could make out the shape hidden in what looks like some sort of abstract artwork.

Tried on PC a couple of times in the past but that doesn't work for me for some reason.

Also please don't expect some high definition and detail pic here. Simple shapes of things or animals usually.

7. TopSecret

I saw a dolphin jumping out of water or something to that effect. I used the tablet and it worked!

8. TopSecret

Found this little article on the history of and science behind stereograms. More pictures as well at the end.

http://www.cruzine.com/2010/10/11/stereograms/

Continues at link. Emphasis not mine.

9. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

Fascinating, but what the hell are "multiple gaming video hamlets"?