1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

So I bought a thing...

Discussion in 'Gasoline Powered' started by TopSecret, Jul 3, 2016.

1. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

Say hello to my brand spanking new 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro4x, 4L V6, 6 speed manual transmission, 4 WD, forged copper color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So pretty!

Good luck finding another one in that color, hehe. There's supposedly only two in canadaland at the moment.

Beautiful driving truck despite me torturing the tranny (it's been a while, mmmkay) frequently. Love it.

Big truck in a little package!

2. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Not bad!!
    I'd heard that the Tacoma was the only one in manual anymore. Glad that's not the case.
    Are those suicide doors or is it just a two door?

3. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

It's a nice truck to drive and you look good in it!

Do you have a before picture with the stickers still on the truck?

4. TopSecret

Suicide doors

[​IMG]

Gay little decals which are now gone:

[​IMG]

5. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Nice! I like the 4 door. pretty much a must with pets.
    Those backup sensors are super handy too. You've survived without them this long, but you'll be glad you have them.
    Do they have them in the front too? Super useful there too.
    Looks like a real good little truck.
    I like that size. Gets you through the bush, but isn't too big for the city either.

6. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Also is there a hitch on that truck?
    Doesn't look like it in the pictures but I thought they were pretty much on all trucks

7. TopSecret

Didn't want the crew cab (4 door) because the bed would be way too short then. Also can't get a manual tranny in any other configuration except the king cab pro4x.

Doggies fit just fine. Enough room to sit and lay down but small enough for them not to fly around back there while you're driving.

No hitch.

8. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Yeah I went for the quad cab on my new truck so I'd get a bit more storage.
    It's still 4 doors but a tiny backseat.
    I kinda wish I'd have been able to get a manual, but the 8 speed transmission is pretty great on gas.
    What's yours claim for mileage?

9. TopSecret

Right now it hovers around 12 to 13L per hundred but it's not broken in and I'm not driving it very well yet either.

10. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

That's not terrible actually. I doubt you'll get too much better. You might get down to 9 if you drive real nice on the highways, but your average will probably stick around 10-12.

11. NavyCuda

It'll probably take close to 30,000km to fully break the engine in and reach its ultimate efficiency.

12. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

Nice!

I thought it was going to be a VW Thing...

First order of business for me is always to remove the lame decals too.

13. NavyCuda

The Germans and the Japanese have enough in common to make acceptable for either to own either.

14. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

So what's it's name?

15. NavyCuda

TopSecret is convinced it's a her and I think it's male.

16. TopSecret

Need some time to decide on a name.

And yes, still going with female until convinced otherwise.

17. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Vehicles and vessels are always female.
    This is one tradition that should never be disregarded.

18. NavyCuda

Not true. It's actually pretty common for many cultures to name a car/machine a him. It also depends on the personality of the vehicle. My Ford, without a question was male. My moms rambler was also a male. I don't really know if my Leaf is male or female, even after 30,000km.

Generally speaking, vehicles requiring lots of maintenance and attention are female, vehicles that don't need much attention and can still manage to work with parts missing, massive abuse and total dipshits operating them are male.

19. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I'm basing this entirely off old tyme maritime tradition.
    With no real research or backing.
    So there's that.
    But more importantly, I maintain the point.

20. TopSecret

Audi if anything German.

Always gonna be between Audi and Nissan I would say. For me that is.

21. NavyCuda

That's the great thing about traditions. Many are entirely pointless and have little basis in reality, but I nod my hat to anyone who maintains a healthy tradition even if it differs from the right way to do it! :D

22. Kagia

Trans. :p

23. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

It's a good looking truck with a minimum of bling, something hard to find these days. It really makes a difference not having the silly decals.

24. NavyCuda

Well it has no transmission... so maybe!

25. NavyCuda

I picked up some metal today, I may have put the first scratches on the tailgate liner!

26. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

The salesman put the first scratches in my bed liner when we were putting my toolbox in. I was unimpressed

27. Davies

Davies Pikeman

At least he didnt destroy your tailgate!

28. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Boom roasted!
    Yeah well at least he didn't.... Shut up!!

29. Kagia

Do you run regular gasoline in yours?

30. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Yeah, from my understanding it's recommended, and there's no real detriment to running the regular petrol on a daily basis. Plus it's cheaper.

31. NavyCuda

The 4.0L is rated to run on regular. It has incredible torque and pulls from down low with ease.

32. TopSecret

Yep, was one of the selling features for me. Regular instead of premium.

Also pics or it didn't happen Kagia! :D

33. Kagia

Lol will post pics soon.

I was just asking because I was kind of shocked when the sales dude told me it is rated for regular. I didn't believe him.

Are you running it any particular way for the break-in period?

34. Kagia

TS, did yours come with those hideous roof racks?

35. TopSecret

Nah, that's when you get a crew cab. Mine is a king cab. Thank goodness.

Yours manual or automatic?

Keep it under 4000rpm. It's 8000km until the first service, mine is about 500km away and we consider it broken in now. Go through the rpm range, go through the gears and shift a lot, especially if it's a manual. Drive hard, drive nice, drive normal... Just keep changing things up so it gets used to all kinds of conditions without revving it super high and possibly damaging the engine.
    Drive nice if you put a load on it before it's broken in.

Navy would know more and be better at explaining this stuff!

36. TopSecret

Little over 8000km

I love my little truck. Still think it's female but no name yet, before anyone asks.

She's officially broken in now and will get her first oil change later this week. I can't remember what else we are supposed to do.

She's officially been rear ended (yay). Though no damage apart from a little scuff mark in the plastic step thingy for the tail gate. Sturdy little truck, for a second or two I wasn't sure what had happened because all I heard was some noise in the back.
    The other party was worse off but neither one of us cared so we essentially shook hands and walked away. Moral of the story, don't roll into a truck with your car in a traffic jam because truck >> car.

She officially has a cracked windshield (yay again). Thank you semi truck going the other way throwing a rock at it this morning.

She's had a few loads of firewood and furniture. Ask Navy for details on that cos I wasn't the one driving but she seemed to handle it just fine. She seems to very much like to be worked. The tie down system is brilliant.

Fuel mileage has settled at around 11.5 to 12.5L/100, can go under 11L/100km if you drive nice which I do not.

In cab controls are very simple and intuitive. Navi is pretty good. Cruise control is nice.

Umm *scratches head*, I'll add more if I can think of it. Maybe navy will as well. Questions? Ask away.

37. Kagia

Dammit, what a pisser that is! I'm just waiting for something like that to happen to mine. Over the years, it's become apparent that I'm not meant to have nice things. My money is on my landlord's daughter or one of her idiot friends coming in or out of the driveway. The parking arrangement at my place is an absolute nightmare.

Anyway, good to hear there's no real damage, but that still sucks. Pickup trucks aren't supposed to look shiny and new forever if you actually use them, but it's a bit of a kick in the nuts when it happens so early on, and especially when it wasn't your fault.

As for gender, I'm still not totally decided, but leaning heavily toward female for mine too.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  38. TopSecret

When you're stuck behind a bunch of slow people going no faster than 80kmh in sixth gear:

IMG_4106.JPG

Almost time for oil change number two. Fuel mileage is improving every week. Starting to hover in the low 12s, high 11s on my daily drives. Today she wouldn't go past 11.2... that's despite her turning into a little race truck.... or me turning her into one. Whichever.

39. Davies

Davies Pikeman

How many KM's can you go on a full tank?

40. TopSecret

350 to 380 depending on how nice you drive... that's having a quarter of a tank (give or take) left when you fill up again.

41. TopSecret

IMG_4632.JPG

24 hrs of accumulation

42. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

How's she handle in the snow?
    I'm loving it up here in the snow with the work truck, but I wish I was down there to have fun in my own

43. TopSecret

Haven't really driven in the mess. Made it out of the shoveled driveway just fine with 4x4.

Ask navy, he might know more.

44. NavyCuda

I managed to lose my momentum and basically get high centered on compacted snow. When the snow goes up the wheel 3/4 of the way you're dragging a lot of anchors.

As soon as I dug it out it continued on happily and I paid better attention to momentum and not compacting an ice trap for the wheels. Don't know what else to call it, but when you're driving you compact the snow a certain amount, once you stop, it starts to compact more. Trick I learned is to immediately back up a foot or two then go forward again, so I have a run up area in both directions.

45. Davies

Davies Pikeman

That Ram of yours will handle awesome in the snow. Ive been playing with mine on some un plowed back roads in abbotsford and mission. Just lock her up and keep your traction control OFF! Lol once your in 4lock she just claws along without skippin a beat! Just remember that automatic traction control is your enemy.

46. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Yeah the traction control on the GMC I have up here is horrible. It cuts all power as soon as it senses any slip. Even with it off it still has a limiter or something

47. Davies

Davies Pikeman

Ya its pretty terrible. Mine just flashes a warning to let me know my tires are spining even with traction control turned off. Its not cutting power really it just puts the brakes each tire thats spinning independently, and then your ABS starts going crazy as well.

48. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I think the GMC actually cuts power because it revs up to 4000rpm but has that gutless sound that it has if you rev in neutral. Shortly after posting that last post I did a sweet drift around a corner and recovered perfectly. Wish someone had recorded it.

49. Kagia

Notice any paint chipping on the end caps of your rear bumper?

Mine are already full of brutal chips right down to the bare metal on both sides! Starting to rust too...

Not impressed.

50. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Mines been okay, but it doesn't get much use these days. My RAM that is. My work truck has plenty of scratches, but at least half of those aren't my fault