1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeping under the stars

Discussion in 'Outdoors and Survival' started by Kagia, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

Was doing some scouting a couple weekends ago for summer motorcycle routes and got to my basecamp location just over three hours from home when I noticed that I forgot my damn tent again. This time it wasn't supposed to rain overnight, so I decided to tough it out and sleep outside on the ground.

Got good and drunk and passed out by the fire.

It actually wasn't too bad. Windier than shit, but I survived.
    The wind changed directions just before I fell asleep, but I didn't feel much like repositioning so I woke up with quite a few burn holes in my sleeping bag and a tick, but overall it was good.

Anyone else ever sleep outside with no tent?

I think I might start doing this again in the summer. One less thing to pack, unpack, and set up.

No condensation to deal with in the morning either. I hate waking up with condensation all over my sleeping bag and the inside of my tent.

[​IMG]

2. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

What did you do about the tick? They scare me, perhaps it was all the things I was told about them as a kid. I was taught to always have a couple cigarettes handy to help remove ticks if I were to get them.

3. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

In my younger days I'd have done that… :D

4. Kagia

Sorry I should have clarified. The tick was just on my sleeping bag. Never had one actually feed on me before.

5. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

Also don't use fire to remove them. Yes they come out, but after they have puked everything that is in them into you, which defeats the purpose of not getting Lyme disease lol

Shawn

6. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

Basically don't suffocate or in any way try to hurt the tick, otherwise you might be in trouble.

Tweezers are the only way really and even then you have to grab them the right way or the body will detach leaving the head stuck in you.

7. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

Any concern of waking up by a bear licking your face?

And ya, ticks scare me too. I need to learn more about them as I moved to a heavily forested area.

8. NavyCuda

My grandpa taught me that if you use the cherry of a cigarette, the heat will make the tick back out. I don't think you actually touch the tick with it, just keep bringing it closer until the tick decides it's time to leave.

9. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

Yeah that is something I wonder about too... then again, is a little tent that much more of a deterrent to wild animals?

10. NavyCuda

When I was young my grandpa and I used to Tent in his back yard. A coyote was very interested in me but the tent was adequate deterant. I imagine it also knew I wasn't afraid, even as a child my grandpa made sure I was armed.

11. Kagia

I wasn't too worried about predators. There are definitely bears, cougars, coyotes, and even wolves in the general area, but not so much in this exact spot I don't think.

It's a Provincial park right beside the highway and there were a few other people camping when I was there.

I'm sure it's not unheard of for the odd critter to make its way into that park, but I wasn't about to turn around and drive all the way home again.

I didn't have a gun with me, but I did have my Ontario RD9 fixed blade knife beside me.
    The liquor helped too...

12. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

I've found over the years that if you have clean campsite bears and the like will wander thru and leave everything alone after a few sniffs, now if there is one whiff of something interesting whatever it is they will get.

And I won't lie, waking up and finding massive bear tracks thru camp make you very aware of how thin tents really are.