1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting a Kropatscheck

Discussion in 'Antique Firearms' started by Tinman204, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Tinman204

Tinman204 Rock Thrower

Figured it's time to write my first thread on this forum.

2 weeks ago I received the most amazing gift from my friend and mentor Smellie. He presented me with a rifle that I've been interested in getting a hold of for several years, a model 1886 Kropatscheck in 8x56 Kropatscheck.

Here's the rifle, a real beauty in my opinion and of course it's well built like everything from Steyr.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the first plan of attck was to disassemble the rifle which had a stuck magazine tube. The tube is made off thin brass and it slides into the receiver so it must be pulled forward to allow the stock to be taken off. Took my brother and I an hour but we managed to get it pulled out with the help of a 8" long bolt, a nut, 2 washers and long pieces of rubber hose. As the nut gets tightened the hose got squished and ended up lodging tightly in the tube and allowed us to pull it out without damage.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After I cleaned and gave the rifle a clean bill of health the next step was to sort out making ammo.

After research and the fact I had access to some I chose the route of forming cases from 348 winchester. The bases are damn close but a slight bevel had to be made on my lathe.

Forming was done with 8mm lebel dies which were generously lent to me by Smellie.

Left is a 348 winchester, middle is run through the lebel die without the expander in and right is an original 8x56 krop.

[​IMG]

Next is the case after fireforming and then with a lee .324-170 loaded in it with 18 grains of 2400. The bullets measure .326".
    [​IMG]

Early accuracy is less then stellar but since I have no load data and I haven't even slugged the bore I"m not too concerned.

Anyhow thankyou Smellie, this girl will be cherished for the rest if my days.

2. Smellie

Smellie Rock Slinger

Glad she got a good home!

I had the 2 of them here and they were always plotting to invade Brazil and make it back into a Portuguese colony. The Brazilian Mausers disagreed with that, of course.

I took the safe way out and told her that you were learning how to cuss in Portuguese, so she was more than happy to go!

Enjoy!

3. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

I love it! Wonderful post, I look forward to reading more!

4. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

Neat! I love bolt action. I don't know why but I do.

Then again, I love a lot of old school things, maybe that's why.

5. Tinman204

Tinman204 Rock Thrower

Me to! Pretty much everything I enjoy in life is old.

Shooting pre 1900 firearms is about as fun as it gets.

When I get some time this week I'll post some other antiques that I shoot.

6. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

Very nice! Pretty rifle indeed. It's great to see how folks are keeping their old guns shooting, making their own cases, adapting, experimenting and doing whatever is needed.

7. Dagmaar

Dagmaar Crossbow Man Founders

Love old guns ! That one is a beaut .
    I remember Jan once posted some pics of her vintage handguns , I think we were discussing the 32 round at the time . Jan and Smellie have some great stuff !
    Congrats on the new acquisition Tinman .

8. janice mainland

janice mainland Rock Thrower

I'll be getting some new acquisitions and some old put up eventually, ma'am. Next time Tinman is over this way perhaps he could take a video or three of some of my peices.
    (Hint-Hint)
    jan