1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Self Sufficiency

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself Projects' started by Shawn, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

This is prob not the best spot to start this as this topic covers a literal ass ton of other topics. But away we go.

I want to start this off by saying that I would like this discussion to cover the reality of what what most call preppers, survivalists, rambos, or what ever term is currently in fashion.

And by reality I mean things that have actually happened, have a high likely hood of happening again, and that are actually likely to happen if they have not already happened at some point. So as much as I like zombies etc. (yes I know many just use such things as a metaphor to broach the subject with others) lets save them for another thread.

Before I post my opinions on anything I would like to post up a link to a resource that I feel is extremely underrated and underutilized. And I believe is already part of many peoples lives but will defiantly change your mindset on this.

I know it is retardely long, but I guarantee you will find it enlightening or at the very least find some part of it useful. So please take the time to read the whole thing, and then we can get this discussion going.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html

Basically look on the left side and under contents start with listening to Katrina, then read sections 1-3. Again it is LONG, but worth it.

Shawn

2. Shawn

In fact I have not read it in a while and have not completed the whole thing yet. I am going to re-read it and we can discuss it as we go.

Shawn

3. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

I really like the idea of self sufficiency. Even simple things like having a garden.

Added to my reading list.

4. drogers33

drogers33 Archer Founders

The last time I checked this out it was still incomplete. I have reading material for downtime.

5. Shawn

I think it is complete now, but it has been a few years since I last looked. I ma in the process of transcribing it to PDF for off line use.

Shawn

6. NavyCuda

It's a very good read and makes the points of someone who's been there and done that. I'm still not finished but it's got me thinking I need a 60second plan. In a case of fire, our house is easy to get out of, especially if we're asleep. It's the lack of planning for dealing with the after result that has me concerned. He's so right about having access to documents and files on the move.

7. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Do you have a fire safe?
    Won't help you on the run, but it centralizes things, and in the case of fire, assuming you can get back in, it offers some protection

8. NavyCuda

Fire safe, no. However a firesafe isn't water proof and we're technically on floodplain.

9. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

The one I have is both. I intend on securing it to the floor, but haven't gotten around to it. Plus keeping the waterproofness after securing it will take slightly more effort

10. NavyCuda

Okay, however a waterproof safe with all your documents doesn't do you a whole lot of good while it's underwater and you're staying at a hotel.

edit to add: that said, it wouldn't be a bad place for the originals if you had notarized copies in your 60 second bag.

11. Shawn

I had never even considered documentation before reading this

Shawn

12. NavyCuda

Nor did I but the points he made were so blatantly obvious it hurts that I never considered how important documents are.

It's not like there will be a fall of government, but a localized natural disaster is possible. Being able to prove who you are and what your assets are would be invaluable. Especially dealing with insurance companies after the fact.

13. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

Hmm... I'm now looking at the possible threats where we live.

We're on a river, about 60 to 75 feet (at a guess) above the water level, and about 150 yds away from it. I'm not worried much about flooding from the river, it would have to be almost biblical before it became a threat, BUT... back in the day (1880), a landslide occurred which temporarily blocked the Thompson and flooded parts of my town. There is even a very old wooden sign erected about half a mile from where I sit, that commemorates that event and shows where the high water mark was. That sign is upriver- I suspect my feet would be wet if it happened today.

And in looking for the date, I came across a study: "The following manuscript is being submitted for consideration to the 2012 Canadian Geotechnical Conference in Winnipeg, Manitoba.", which if anyone is interested, I'll provide a link- it's quite long. I'm still quickly skimming it to see what the likelihood of another slide is.

Putting that to one side:
    - not many trees in and around the town, so interface forest fires aren't a concern.
    - there are essentially 2 routes in/out of town, although one side of the town (which is bisected by the river) has 2 roads that lead out of town: both get you to the trans-Canada. Landslides, whether by rain, river, or earthquake, could cut off access. (we have a rental house in a nearby town where once, all 3 roads into that town were cut off by landslides for 3 days.)
    - we're not on any major fault lines, but earthquakes could really cause problems: imagine all roads cut off, and the river rising fast because the Thompson is plugged by another landslide.

And that's just the geological or weather related issues.

Food and water: well, the river is close by, assuming the towns water system fails. We have a garden (currently under snow), some food stored away, and if it went on long enough, I'm within walking distance of hills where I could hunt for small game. (I'm not a big guy, I'd have to consider how much energy I'd expend getting to the hunt area, and how much getting some animal back, as opposed to how much energy I'd gain from the meat).

Shelter: I have a gas furnace. I'd assume in an emergency I'd have no gas, so time of year of the "event" could be an issue.

Socio/economic issues: law and order/public security: hell, I've got enough to think about already... maybe another post?

14. Shawn

Still plugging away at the PDF, almost half way through section 1 LOL

Shawn

15. Shawn

16. Shawn

Still plugging along with this and started to think about ease of use and protection my pictures.

So I started to organize them using a date, location, subject file name structure. I also used the tag feature with the same type of structure, tagging location, subject, people etc, so if looking for a specific pic I can just search by tag. IE if I want to see all my pics of animals I just search the tag animal, or if I just want pics of deer I search deer and so on.

[​IMG]

Eventually all the pics will be in one folder. As I complete the file names and tags I move them to the main folder. I will end up like a big timeline of my photos. Currently it is sitting at approx 36 gigs, I also save my videos to the same folder using the same file structure so they fall in the timeline as they were taken.

Shawn

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  17. NavyCuda

I've trying to get better at keeping my glasses on my bed side instead of on my desk. I have to take baby steps.

18. Canadian1911

Canadian1911 Crossbow Man

Shawn uses Vista....

[​IMG]

On a serious note now,

My family has all the equipment needed, between my guns and ammo, my dad's contracting tools, farm tools and equipment, my brothers back-up battery chargers, etc, etc. Let's not forget my dad's food vacum packing machine and the food dehydrator he is looking at getting. Only thing we really need is a plan.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  19. NavyCuda

I've been working on a list of things to take to the cabin, some of it would translate well to a 60minute plan.

I need to get a bit further ahead financially and get a second pair of glasses for backup.

I think when I finally replace my work bag I'll get a larger one, like a range or duty bag and have it dual purpose.

Whenever we get a notebook again, I've got a nice pelican case for it. I should probably use the pelican case to store document duplicates.

20. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I have a nice big pelican case we use as earthquake kit (72+ hours type deal) crush/water proof. Should hold up for most staying around type situations. And if I have to take it and go it has wheels and isn't the least maneuverable thing ever

21. NavyCuda

I'm still jealous of your pelican footlocker!

22. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

It is pretty awesome.
    I barely had room for it in my old house.
    I meant to get a bunch more stuff recently. Maybe I'll go on days off and stock up.
    One big thing people regularly forget: a commode and bags to go with it. You have lots of food to eat, but nowhere to put the waste when the plumbing is out

23. Davies

Davies Pikeman

Garbage can

24. Shawn

25. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

26. Davies

Davies Pikeman

Just put some blue tarps around them and it would be the same thing lol

27. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man