1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Pump House upgrades

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself Projects' started by NavyCuda, Jul 31, 2015.

1. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

So the bladder tank in our pumphouse let go and needs replacement. Being the type of person that can rarely do things the easy way I started to put more thought into what I wanted to accomplish.

We have sediment and discoloration issues so I want to add in filtration. So a person would think that a 25 micron and 5 micro carbon filter in series would be enough. I want to be able to refilter without having to shut down the water to the house, so I want to put two filters in series, but duplicated in parallel.

So the following drawing is revision 2 of my current plans but I might add a UV filter to the works, I'm undecided about that still...

image.jpg
    rotated the wrong way it seems, sorry!

2. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Man, id have just thrown some things together on a napkin, had a few beers, lost the napkin, and gone to fucking town on the job half assed!
    Looks like you got a good plan though, whats your estimate on completion time?
    This a weekend job for you?

3. NavyCuda

It's probably going to be closer to a month. I'm speccing pretty expensive components and I can't afford them all at once. Also I want to design and build everything on a board and then just install the board into the pump house and only have a couple connections to make.

4. NavyCuda

Today the pump overheated and went into thermal protection. That's not good for the pump, so it's now on the list of items to replace. I'm not really impressed with the well cover, or the plumbing going into the well. We sure have lots of water though!

5. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

My folks are running dry.
    you're lucky to have a full well!

6. NavyCuda

Today I picked up some 11gauge 304 stainless steel and cut out two brackets for mounting the filter housings in pairs. I used the original bracket as a guide and used the same center spacing from the wall to the first filter, to the second filter. The one flaw with that plan is that it didn't leave enough room to get the wrench completely over the nut. I don't plan to use the wrench anyways as this filter housing design uses an o-ring to seal the canister to the housing. So I count this as a lucky moment but a reminder to always measure three times and cut once. If I had been any closer I would have had to scrap $80 of stainless and a $70 cut.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  7. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Thats always a kicker when you plan and measure everything precisely and then forget something plainly obvious.
    Happens at work and it pisses me off when its my fault.

8. NavyCuda

9. NavyCuda

10. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

Well I can't even say "pics or it didn't happen." Now what do I have........................ WAIT!!! Parts are easy to buy. Pics of it installed or it never happened!

11. NavyCuda

That's a troubling yet accurate statement.

12. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

I look at the shelves of parts I have that are still in the boxes they came in from years gone by and the dead projects. Oh I know.

13. NavyCuda

Got my brackets back from the fabricator today! I don't have a tig welder, nor do I have a brake large enough for 11gauge 304 stainless.

Hopefully this weekend I can get some more parts to start building the board.

I occasionally entertain the idea of making the board from stainless or aluminum but that would be too cost prohibitive.
    image.jpg