1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Post your Rig!

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessories' started by Ken, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

[​IMG]
    So I've been putting my chest rig together for awhile.
    Started with a bare bones molle vest, added 2 (3) mag pouches. One's a kangaroo pouch with 3 pistol mag pouches, the other I attached a 2 mag kangaroo pouch on top of. I meant to do that for both sides but I grabbed the 3 mag kangaroo pouch instead. I'll probably trade it off at some point.
    Also added a basic first aid pouch, and my camel back is compatible with the molle on the back.
    Gonna add a few more utility pouches as time goes on.
    Not sure how I feel about putting ammo pouches on the back. They're inaccessible in a hurry, but there's tonnes of real estate there I hate to waste.
    So let's see your chest rigs/TAC vests

2. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

Don't fall into the "there is empty pals, I must fill them ALL" trap.

Shawn

3. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

My AR mag pouches are two wide and three deep. Terrible for shooting from prone.

4. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Yeah I don't want to end up doubling my weight

5. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

20160222_182037.jpg

511 Vest, IFAK on the right, general purpose pouch on the left that's setup for an overnight in the bush and nav back home. Gps/radio pouch on the left shoulder. I've stripped off the mag pouches that usually ride in the middle 4 3*AR mag pouches. On the back I have my camelback, maps go in the internal pocket. This rig started as a shooting rig that I used when in the back country as well and is now pretty much only used for back country use. I'm hoping to afford a micro rig for shooting and let this one stay as a strictly back country use rig. Which will mean the addition of a shotshell carrier and a pouch for a couple scout mags and a day pack like my wife got for her rig.

My wife has a similar rig with a camera pouch and quick connect clips for day pack. Also her's wasn't setup for any mag pouches, less real estate to put pouches on. She will need at least one mag pouch for her mags as well.

I've seen a couple people get pinned under a quad or thrown and their "first aid kit" is in the equipment box of said quad and of no good to them. Also the first aid kit in question is a boo boo kit and really useless in a real emergency.

6. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

That's a very good point.
    Even a pressure dressing and a tourniquet is enough for self aid. A few Band-Aids and benzo wipes for the little shit, med tape, gauze and a couple ab pads and you'll get yourself back to your real kit barring anything beyond your self aid capabilities.

Nice shemagh BTW.
    Those themselves add half a dozen first aid applications

7. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I have to try my prone shooting. I hope the side most pouches are okay for prone. In my experience nothing chest posted is any good for prone shooting

8. drogers33

I forget which kit I bought for us.. Both got/better CAT, a couple high intensity glowsticks, benadryl and an epi pen for myself.

9. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Glowsticks are a good call actually.
    And a few meters of paracord. "Buzzsaw" is a lot more visible than just a stationary glowsticks.

10. drogers33

Paracord I have in the general pouch along with a survival blanket. The glowstick is for primarily a source light for emergency first aid at night. I have a glowstick in the general pouch for signaling and a flint for fire starting.

11. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I'd recommend some steel wool as well.
    That shit lights fast and easy

12. drogers33

Magnesium and flint block works the best for the smallest volume and weight.

13. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I find magnesium burns too fast. Steel wool acts as a tinder and burns slow enough to light other substances
    Just my own experience.

14. Shawn

Thats because most people dont know how to properly wear a chest rig and wear them way way way too low.

[​IMG]

Left = Bad
    Right = Good

Shawn

15. Shawn

My rig is a mayflower low profile assualt armour carrier in kryptek highlander with HSGI quick reaction chest rig in highlander and IIIa panels. I dont have plates yet.

Stock pics until dig out my rig

[​IMG][​IMG]

I would get the the regualr lo pro carrier if I had to do it agian, but it was not available when I bought this:

[​IMG]

The two carrier pics also illustrate proper armour placement the First one is good to go and the second is too low

Shawn

16. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Honestly I even found my issued vest a bitch to draw from in the prone.
    After basic we never went prone except on the range, with a few exceptions of course, but even then mag changes were usually from the kneeling or on the move.
    Not that I'm speaking from combat experience, but the guys that were over there, said they never really had to do so.
    Save of course for a designated marksman, but they'd have a different set up entirely

17. Shawn

[​IMG]

Finally got around to the pic

Shawn

18. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

Looks good in Kryptec.

How do you like the Mayflower?

That's the same carrier I was going to get before I got sidetracked with all this bike stuff.

19. Shawn

I love it, like I said above tho I would go with the low pro if doing it over again

Shawn

20. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

My rig is pretty... umm... shitty. Not sure I want to post it!

21. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

What kind of plates are you thinking of going with?

22. Shawn