1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Oops I also bought a thing...

Discussion in 'Gasoline Powered' started by Kagia, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

Was really enjoying having no vehicle payments, but I jumped on the Nissan band wagon and bought a Frontier yesterday. I had my heart set on a Tacoma, but Toyota didn't wanna play ball.
    [​IMG]

I'm happy with it so far.

Pro4x :)
    White :)
    Crew cab :)

5-spd automatic :(
    Short box :(
    Leather seats :(

Fuel economy seems pretty bad so far, but the same seems to be true for all the small trucks with 4.0 V6 engines. It might not be as bad if the automatic transmission was a 6-spd. Hoping it'll get better once broken in.

I'm hoping to remove the decals, roof racks, and maybe even the chrome emblems off the tailgate this week if I'm feeling motivated enough.

I think I'll also be ordering a set of these neoprene seat covers as soon as possible because having leather freaks me out.
    Www.coverking.com

It definitely needs lifted just a couple inches, but other than that, I won't be doing anything to it (if I even get around to lifting it.)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    TopSecret likes this.
  2. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

I took the pro4x decals off fairly easy, after the sun had warmed up the box. A hair dryer or heat gun will also work to get the decals soft enough to peel without leaving adhesive behind. The decals only go a few mm under the bed rail plastic cap things and will peel right out from under it.

I've managed to get TopSecrets down to 10.5L/100, but that's driving very nice.

The roof rack on yours will have a negative effect on economy as well but I can't say by how much.

3. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

It's an excellent bandwagon to be on :D

Yes fuel mileage is fairly atrocious at the beginning. We averaged about 14L/ 100km during break in. I filled her up every two days pretty much (I also don't like going under 1/4 tank of fuel). It's settled to about 11.5 now it seems. Though as navy said you can bring it down to under 11 if you drive nice. But I struggle with that, though I have done it. Must be the German in me ;)

I found that around the 5000km mark the fuel mileage would start to settle down on a number and that despite driving it hard, the L/100 would hold fairly steady at that point.

I need to get rubber mats one day to save the nice ones the truck came with.

4. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

This whole Nissan thing seem to be like an STD

Nice truck :)

Shawn

5. TopSecret

How long until you'll get infected?

6. NavyCuda

The Toyota was on the list of possibilities but the Nissan is much better priced. I never looked closely at the Tacoma but going under the Frontier, it is a very well built truck. The manual transmission at least is very large, clearly designed to handle torque and weight.

7. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

When they are free

Shawn

8. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I still like my RAM.
    Hell of a truck, and I have yet to find it underpowered or lacking

Except in my wallet

9. Kagia

I went out to Hope the other day and averaged 12.6L/100km with the cruise control set at 111km/h and a few accelerations up to about 120 or 125km/h to pass trucks. I dunno if that's good, but it sure beats the mileage I seem to get around town.

I got some cheap rubber mats on sale at Canadian Tire the other day that I keep forgetting to install.

10. Kagia

The price of the Nissan was better, their interest rates were way better, and they gave me $4500 more for my Ranger than Toyota was going to, so the choice was pretty easy for me.

11. Kagia

I still really don't know how I feel about owning an automatic. Been driving standard for so many years that I kind of grew to hate it. I LOVE driving the automatic, but I know that it's only a matter of time before I have issues with it, and it ain't gonna be cheap to fix. Also, I do miss being in control of what my engine is doing. I already miss the standard for off-road terrain as well.

I'm really enjoying the Rockford Fosgate sound system. Not crazy about how the subwoofer takes up valuable storage space under the seat, but it sounds nice!

I'm also really enjoying the Bluetooth features. Plays music from my phone and I can talk hands free. Love it.

The satellite radio on mine is absolutely worthless. Might be an issue with the antenna or something. If I even have trees on one side of the road, I often lose the signal. It's bad. Not a fan of any of those channels anyway.

I dunno about the navigation. Haven't used it for anything yet, but it's often running on the screen while I'm driving and it seems like half the street names don't show up.

Ordered some pretty nice looking neoprene seat covers from shearcomfort.com for the leather seats I didn't want. They should be here by the end of the month. Looking forward to installing them so I can quit being so paranoid. Can start packing the dog around with me more too.

I'm kind of on the fence about the tie-down system. It is innovative and gives the user more options, but I think I'd rather just have a few of the old style fixed tie-down points. The tracks seem susceptible to being damaged, and I don't care much for having to either leave the tie-down thingies in the truck at all times or store them somewhere else until I need them. Never know when you may need them. They've just been rattling around in a box behind my seat.

I was pretty surprised to find out that the truck didn't come with a trailer hitch receiver. I don't really plan to tow anything, but you never know. It would be nice to have the option. Even my barebones Ranger came stock with one.

I have a look under the box at the spare tire the other day and was shocked and delighted to find that it's not only a full size spare, but it's a matching Hankook tire on a matching wheel. Very cool. :) I get a lot of flat tires.

I haven't check yet if my bike will fit in the tiny box. I hope it fits, but it'll be close. Should have checked before I bought it.

12. Davies

Davies Pikeman

It sounds like your Nav system may need an update? Which means a trip to the service department, rejoyce!

I also have the same problem with Ram and its sattelite radio. My old Ram never lost its signal but this one is real in and out when im in the mountains

13. Kagia

Front seats before:
    [​IMG]
    After:[​IMG]

14. NavyCuda

Those look like they fit pretty good.

15. Kagia

Kind of...

The covers themselves seem to fit nicely, but I can't for the life of me figure out what to do with one of the straps. The fit would be quite a bit better with this strap fastened, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how/where to run the strap.

16. Kagia

17. NavyCuda

They sure are nice little trucks! How hard have you pushed yours offroad?

18. Kagia

Not very hard. My daily work commute is pretty rough. Some of the most aggressive washboard I've ever seen, and pretty nasty potholes up and down a steep mountain road.

Did a couple little day trips up some old logging roads in the Fraser Canyon recently and went off on some little double track side roads that were a bit gnarly. Just took er nice and slow.

The truck definitely needs lifted a little bit, but can't justify the cost at this time. Maybe next year.

You guys still liking yours?

19. NavyCuda

I can't speak for TopSecret but I've found it to be quite competent offroad and carrying a load. It's hauled 4-5 loads of rounds of firewood. I don't offroad enough, but perhaps the wheelbase or layout of the king cab is enough that I don't feel as though it needs a lift.

20. TopSecret

Liking is an understatement! Love my little race truck!

21. Kagia

Lol sometimes I wish I'd gone with the manual transmission, but then I get into town and it's well worth it.

22. Kagia

Also, I did haul a very heavy load of firewood with it and couldn't even tell it was back there.

I wonder if there's actually any difference in wheelbase between the two. The short box on mine might compensate for the larger cab?

23. NavyCuda

I managed to load it enough to occasionally hit the bump stops whiles driving. Clutch really liked the weight, engine didn't notice it. That 4.0L has a tremendous amount of torque down low.

24. TopSecret

I don't find it overly annoying (not yet anyway). It's geared so low that you can happily drive around in third or fourth in the city or slow traffic without wasting too much fuel.

But it's certainly not a city vehicle.

25. Kagia

Seemed to do pretty well in the snow today with the stock tires.
    [​IMG]

26. NavyCuda

Did you have to lock the rear axle?

27. Kagia

Totally forgot that was even an option. Will have to try it out next time.

There was a point where I had to back into almost a foot of untouched snow to turn around. Thought I was going to get stuck for sure, but she pulled herself out no problem.

28. NavyCuda

I used low range in Top Secrets to pull a stuck chevy out of a ditch!

29. Kagia

Nice!!