1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

One fired "IVI" headstamped .308 available again

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by stevebc, Feb 23, 2017.

1. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

I've been looking for NATO brass for my M305 for a while, and just got an email notification from X-Reload in Montreal it's back in stock.

I just ordered 300 pieces, taxes and shipping in it's just under $101. I'm hoping for decent life from these, the regular stuff didn't handle it well.

2. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

I've used the ivi and lake city brass for .223/5.56 and it holds up great. One of the guys who got me into reloading told me that I'll lose it before it wears out. He isn't as picky about finding every last piece as I am but I think the theory holds.

3. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

The m305 isn't even that mean to brass, which is nice.

4. stevebc

I just ran 100 pieces through a Wilson type case gauge: it appears that every one was fired from a machine gun, because every one in the bag sat between 1/4 to 1/2" above the case gauge.

So, out with the press, lube up a case, die set to full length resize:

Absolutely impossible to resize- I cannot get the ram to complete a stroke. It gets close to the case web and stops completely. I tried being forceful, but it's clear that continuing will only get me a stuck case.

It appears I've thrown $100 away.

5. NavyCuda

Couldn't you work them down in stages? Set the die high, size, lower the die, size?

I really want to get into annealing...

6. stevebc

Maybe- I really doubt it, as there was NO progress downwards with each attempt. I mean NO movement: the ram just stops dead.

I suppose I could try it in teeny steps, but frankly, if I have to do that, I'll toss them in the garbage.

Really disappointed.

7. drogers33

Micrometer vs spec how bad is it?

8. NavyCuda

9. drogers33

My question more fully clarified would have included. Where exactly and by how much it off spec? Shoulder, neck, base etc.

10. stevebc

Ok, getting advice elsewhere that my lube is either wrong or not enough, so I'll try again when I'm feeling better.

Also suggested I run them through a .45 ACP die first, because that will do the bulk of the resize in one step and the rest can be done with regular .308 dies.

Also suggested: small base dies.

Here's how they look when dropped into the case gauge:

[​IMG]

And that's about as far as I get when trying to resize.

I just phoned in sick for tomorrow as well, been off all week except for Monday morning. Some sort of flu. Weak as a kitten, will try again on the weekend if I feel better.

11. drogers33

I've used the small base dies since day one and I guess this might be why I haven't seen this before.

For lubing the brass I use an old baking pan and lay them all flat spray the lube on and then roll them around to ensure a even coating.

12. stevebc

Yeah, a spray lube was advised and to apply it liberally, so I used the Dillon spray this time, more than I normally would, and tried again:

Surprised at the effort it took, but I now have a full-length sized decapped bit of brass to work with.

I'll get at the rest this weekend.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  13. drogers33

The Dillon 650 requires firm pressure to do 308, far more than any thing else I reload. I've found that if I've missed getting sufficient lube the force required is an order of magnitude greater. Enough so that I remove the case from the shell plate rather than to break things attempting to force it.

14. stevebc

Updated on this- and thank you to drogers for the advice:

I finally got the RCBS .308 small base die (#15531) and tried it out yesterday: works like a charm.

All the brass now passes the gauge test, it just needs trimming now.

I needed a fair bit more Dillon lube than you'd normally use, and that led to some small dents on the shoulders. Nothing serious, but I may go retro and get an ink pad and do the old "roll the brass on the pad" thing for this rifle.

15. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

NATO brass is already annealed that would make it harder to resize

Shawn

16. NavyCuda

Annealing softens brass, reducing the risk of cracking the neck during the resizing process.

17. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

Yeah you are right Shane, I had it backwards

Shawn