1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

John Gage Customs : Tactical Gladius

Discussion in 'Sharp Objects and Pointy Sticks' started by NavyCuda, Mar 3, 2015.

1. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

I bought this sword because I couldn't find my grandfathers machete, or one close to it. My grandpa had a really heavy blade machete made with very good steel that held its edge. It was excellent for clearing blackberries in bulk. The ones at the coop are made from sheet metal and they just about couldn't hack their way out of a wet cardboard box.

So the search was on and I ended up ordering the tactical gladius. The Gladius is a double edged short sword for thrusting and slashing. I don't know how to thrust with it, but it excels at slashing. I've cleared a fair amount of blackberries, small trees and other yard trimming with this sword without sharpening it. It has come into contact with nails, chain link, barbed wire and has only a few minor surface blemishes.

When it comes to slashing through the blackberries, once you figure out the ideal approach angle the blade passes cleanly through the blackberry and little resistance is offered. Not much effort is needed, as the blades weight with only the slightest encouragement will pass through blackberry stems over 2cm in diameter. With the same effort, two to three strikes to pass through a 3cm sapling. If you put your back into it, passing through in one strike of the 3cm sapling is assured.

The handle was terrible, it had sharp points, that you can see I took a file to and rounded off. Even with gloves they painfully bit into my hands. After smoothing the problem went completely away.

At around $1000usd delivered to my door, with a kydex scabbard I think that I got my moneys worth. This is a blade built to be used and abused. I'm not sure how much utility a tactical gladius would have in the modern battle field, but for ease of mounting to webbing the mall ninja points are off the scale.

IMG_1242.jpg
    Best light in the house! This picture was over 3mb! More light = more detail and less grain!

2. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

I'm assuming that price had an extra zero tacked on?

Is that about a 10 to 12 inch blade? I'm thinking something like this could be damned handy in home defense. Big and heavy enough to do real damage, but short enough to wield in small spaces, such as hallways, doorways etc.

3. NavyCuda

No no, It was right around one thousand dollars delivered.

It's a hand made, custom blade. Not a cheap made in china display piece.

It's fantastically handy, but after seeing what it does to blackberries a firearm is a far more humane means of self defense. I can't even imagine the horror and gore of the roman legions hacking their way to victory.

4. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

Very nice!

I've been wanting an "Abaddon" or "Two Hand Marauder" for a long time now.

I don't have any swords, but I've spent way too much on blades in the last couple years to justify it right now.

5. NavyCuda

Blade length, 16" overall length 21.5"

6. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

Looks good!! I have one of those Canadian Tire sheet metal ones. They really are horrible. Have to keep sharpening it and swing really fast for it to be effective.

7. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

Just found what I need to buy.

[​IMG]

8. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

Had no idea they were in that price range!

For defense purposes, I was thinking of not having to worry where your rounds go if you miss. Cleanup would be a bitch, though.

9. NavyCuda

Certainly the intimidation factor would be much higher with a sword at close range.

10. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

[​IMG]

Zombie Tools Ferrous Wolf

Clearing black berries or small trees is easy and the blade holds it's edge great. My brother bought a china long sword "its usable" 5 min sparing and his edge was nicked to sh*t, mine has 2 minor blemishes that I dealt with in 10 min with a fine stone.