1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Imperial. I hate Imperial.

Discussion in 'Formal Science' started by NavyCuda, Mar 17, 2015.

1. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

So I really do enjoy drawing stuff for the water jet, but I absolutely hate dealing with imperial measurements.

Decimal Inches, fractional inches, I don't care I hate it.

I love to draw in metric, it's so easy to remember critical measurements, so I don't have to keep referring to documentation. You know, like 2.5mm or 300mm, or 1000mm or heaven forbid 1m.

Sorry if you prefer Imperial, but I hate using an outdated system when we are supposedly a metric country.

2. Dagmaar

Dagmaar Crossbow Man Founders

I've never taken to metric , it confuses the crap out of me . Also , having spent 25ish yrs in an industry that uses imperial hasn't helped me have any desire to change .
    What really annoys me is the wishy washy kinda changed it attitude in this country . Really , you are right Navy , metric is what we should be using , but it's never been pushed hard enough . Just like everything else in Canada , we seem destined to be too nice to just say " hey you dipshits , it's time you learned this as it's supposed to be our recognized format for measuring shit ! "
    Add to that the ease with which I can find a way to convert any measurement from imperial to metric at the push of a button and laziness wins the day , I guess .

3. NavyCuda

I was raised on Imperial actually so for a number of years I did well with fractional inches. All road building is in metric though, so when I was working in road building I started to get used to metric. The machinery I was running was from Germany and everything was in metric. Then I started fabricating in metric. The average fabrication job can be done to the millimeter, which makes things super easy.

Now, I get lost trying to deal with fractions to decimal and back and forth. My only saving grace is that the layout software for the waterjet is fraction friendly.

4. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

Starfleet will be Metric. For example... NCC1701-D will be 4,500,000 metric tons. I won't be able to wait the 335 years to verify this though.

But I am still stuck on Imperial.

5. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

Born and raised in Germany, all I know is metric.

I know what a foot, an inch and a mile is, but if someone is yapping on and on using imperial, I have no clue what the heck they're talking about.

We use pounds and gallons occasionally too but they're all even numbers... 1 lbs =500gr, 1 gallon = 4L.

I find it easier to use multiples of ten than... Ummm... Fractions...

I mean, to me, 10+10 is much easier and less labour intensive than 1/12+1/8...

6. NavyCuda

The mix of metric and imperial in the original series was confusing though!

7. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

I grew up on Imperial, and that's what I think in, but I'm the first one to admit it's stupid beyond belief. My kids think in metric, so I have to remember that mpg means no more to them than litres/100km does to me. I still have to remind myself that a centimeter is about 3/8ths of an inch, or it means nothing to me.

Now though, I think in metric for temperature and for speed. Funny, that. Maybe it's sinking in.

8. StoneHorse

StoneHorse Archer Founders

I was raised on Imperial as well and I'm okay using metric when I need to. I never understood Canada's move into the metric system when our largest trading partner (US) never intended to go metric. I think at the time PET wanted increase trade with Europe and at the same time reduce Canada's dependency with the US market.

I do know there was a big jump in consumer prices at the same time. One example, going from a Imperial quart of engine oil to a liter container, there was about $1.00 increase in the price for the same brand/type/weight of oil. When I complained about the big jump in price, I told that was the cost of metrication.

9. NavyCuda

Sounds like Canadians were scammed! A quart is not far off a liter.

10. StoneHorse

StoneHorse Archer Founders

A Imperial quart is larger than a US quart which is close to 1 liter. Canadians paid for it in just about everything. Changes in labeling on packaging is another example.

11. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

I think that their plan was to do it as well...but fizzled due to politics.

I think they will have to change over eventually.

12. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

Even the Americans are switching to metric. It is the world standard now, the US army has been metric for years and years, everything they do is meters and kilometers.

Shawn

13. NavyCuda

It makes me cry, how many dxf drawings I see are in imperial. Namely, all of them. A job we did that was contract work for the Navy was in imperial...

14. NavyCuda

I had to do a drawing where the dimensions were specified in both fractional and decimal inches. So they wanted some holes, where they specified decimal inches to the outside edges and fractional between the the holes. What happened is that the fractional inches didn't add up correctly and I had to take the total span, divide by the number of holes and use decimal inches to get things to line up again.

Terrible fucking system.

So much so I've gone back to measuring in metric and entering the value as mm/25.4 as the software accepts equations.

15. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Im with you Navy, in civil construction we use metric, except when framing. And I hate using imperial. Its just not as intuitive.
    Course there's that weird no man's land that has some people switching back and forth

16. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Also I love using mils for navigation
    6400 mils to a circle makes more sense than 360 imo