1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Grunig & Elmiger

Discussion in 'Precision Rifles' started by stevebc, Jan 24, 2016.

1. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

I just love telling people what brand of rifle I use for F class. They always get this brow-wrinkled puzzled expression and ask me to repeat that. No surprise really, Swiss-made G & E are almost unknown in North America, and they're almost the only rifle used in Europe for target rifle.

http://www.gruenel.ch/home/?setlang=en

This particular rifle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

… is well over 20 years old and was designed for Palma shooting: precision iron sights, .308, long distances. I inherited it from my dad, and adapted it for F-class by adding the 15 MOA scope rail (installed by Paul Reiben of Kamloops, who did a beautiful job considering the rail had to be cut in two) and one of Henry Rempel's "ski" bipods.

[​IMG]

Unlike the more modern Grunigs, where pretty much everything is adjustable, it's only the cheekpiece that can be set to individual taste.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

…and here you can see where I added every butt spacer I had and even made a crude plywood spacer to get it out to where it felt more right. Apparently, I have longer arms than most and almost every rifle I pick up feels too short in the butt. I considered getting one of the adjustable butt length systems that would fit the rifle but I couldn't justify the expense- they're not cheap.

[​IMG]

Here you can see where I carved the grip to accommodate my thumb, and it really made a difference in feel, much more comfortable and positive grip.

[​IMG]

Another view of the left side, where you can see the unusual side cuts on the receiver for the (iron) sight base:

[​IMG]

Here is the sight base itself and the Central No. 4 sight that attaches to it-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And up front is where you can just see where the front sight base sat:

[​IMG]

And finally, the sight base and globe foresight ( I have a whole bunch of different inserts for the sight):

[​IMG]

The barrel is just over 20mm in diameter, and was the first "heavy" barrel I'd seen. Until I went to my first F-class match and saw the truly heavy barrels most are using these days- at least twice as large.

The scope is a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 44 that's worked well for me. I could've chosen a different reticle- there are finer cross hairs than the one I chose, but I'm happy enough with my choice.

Trigger isn't adjustable, although I could buy and install one that is, but it breaks at around 3 1/4 lbs. To put that in perspective, I know guys whose trigger pull weights are measured in ounces...

And that's my Grunig: the most accurate rifle I own.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

What a beautiful rifle!

What kind of groups can you get?

3. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

It looks very elegant.
    I imagine it would really highlight any mistakes in your form, and help you fix them too. When your rifle is perfect, you can really dial in where your shortcomings are and fix them

4. stevebc

Going by memory here, as I haven't shot it in a few years now, but if the wind isn't a factor, 1/2 MOA or so.

But the wind is almost always a factor (especially at Kamloops), and I just never got in enough practice on my local range in windy conditions. So for me, reading the wind is still a black art and I'm frankly not very good at it.

5. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

I'd probably be better at reading the wind, and I have no experience at it, then I am reading women!

6. stevebc

I've reduced the price in the classifieds section, as far as I'm going to.
    Haven't entirely made up my mind, but this will likely help fund a shorty M-305.

Update: I ended up selling the Remple bi-pod to help fund the M305.
    The G&E is still in my safe. :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016