1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Granberg Chainsaw Sharpener

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessories' started by drogers33, Feb 19, 2017.

1. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

So I bought an Alaskan sharpener jig last spring to see if they were worth the hype. I answered that question the first time I used it and decided that this year I would get the best option which seems to be the Granberg G1012XT.

I finally used it the other day and I'm completely pleased. The chain I was sharpening is on a farm saw that gets used on everything from fences to stumps, this chain has been neglected in the worst way. The final result had to remove about 3/16" from the cutters and .020 from the rakers. For a chain that I'd have tossed and bought a new one rather than hand sharpen I was very happy to only spend an hr getting it back in service. I had to do 2 passes on the first side as I found a severely damaged tooth near the end of the loop.

The sharpener is a bit of a pain to get setup correctly but it's mainly just taking the time to get everything aligned and set. Once setup its fast and silly easy. The quality of the job is better than anything other than a nice bench mounted sharpener which you can really have with you. For a regular sharpen I think it would be ~15min per saw. Like I said I'm sold, anyone who needs to do any amount to chainsaw work needs one of these.

2. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

Looks like they've used the existing jig and replaced the hand file with the electric one. In case that's not clear, you can buy a manual version ( I have one) that has a standard chainsaw file in place of the electric one.

In any case, I completely agree these things are great, and for me are a necessity. I've tried, and I can't do it by hand without the jig: I can get it more or less fairly close on one side, but when I switch to the other side, I don't get the same results. I need that jig to keep it even on both sides of the chain.

I have a cheap Poulan that works for the few times I need a chainsaw.

3. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

The cheap hand jig I had worked well until it came apart due to cheap construction. The Granberg hand jig is supposed to be excellent and judging on the build of mine it should hold up forever. If it was just my own personal saw I was dealing with I'd have likely saved myself the cash and gone with the hand jig.

I have a 455 Rancher Husqvarna.

4. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

I hear you- I had one of those hand jigs fall apart on me once. Guess I assumed they were all the same.

If I needed a saw more often than I do, I'd go with either a Husky or a Stihl. Great saws.