1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening Project 2015 - 2016

Discussion in 'Horticulture, Gardening and Farming' started by TopSecret, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Thats true!
    His dog is a lazy old thing
    You have an all natural solution to pests

2. Commando

Commando Rock Thrower

Navy added a potato "volcano". That's what it looks like anyway.

[​IMG]

The idea is to start the plant at the bottom, let it grow a bit, add soil, let it grow, add soil, etc. Hopefully creating a massive root system in the process and a nice big harvest off of one plant.

It was new to me but I like the idea.

We dug the hole into the sand pile, for lack of drums or tires.[/QUOTE]

have you guys seen our blue barrels that we do our potatoes in? they seem to work pretty damn good. if we remember to dig them up that is lol

3. Commando

Commando Rock Thrower

our garden in our backyard is starting to ripen with all kinds of stuff! i learned last year that if you have one blueberry bush, then you need a second, as they cross pollinate. this year we have a whole bunch that are on the verge of ripening.

my strawberries this year, i gathered out of all the pots i had them in and consolidated them into four pots. they are blooming and producing awesomely! best eyar i have had with them. they seem to like being clustered together.

we have snap peas that have being ripening for a week now and are producing tons of fruit. everyday i go out there and there are lots to pull off.

now im just waiting for the tomatoes to get bigger and the peppers.

at the farm, we have lots of squash plants- spaghetti, acorn, zucchini, cucumber, pumpkin, watermelon, cantalope- and potatoes and corn. the zucchini fruit is already growing like mad and the rest of the squash are flowering. i couldn't figure out why my pumpkin plants were so small still and then the husband said that he told me that it was all sand in that area and i needed to put down lots of fresh dirt when i planted. but i didn't. guess we will see if they take off.

i love gardening but it is very hard to get down in the dirt and do the work with a giant prego belly. hopefully the garden will hang on and continue to do well until this baby comes out and i can spend some real time out there!

4. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

Would love to see your garden!

Should make another thread and then we can compare notes and stare at each other's pictures!

Commando likes this.
  5. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

We should go over to their house once the kid drops and bring the dogs to give Dave as big of a headache as possible! He'd like that!

Then you'd get to see Commandos nice setup and I'm sure you'll be at least a little jealous!

Commando likes this.
  6. TopSecret

May 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

July 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

First signs of Broccoli! Also lots and lots of tomatoes growing!

Having a few issues with bugs, mostly aphids and caterpillar type things. I've been drowning them in soapy water (spray bottle), we shall see how it works.

7. TopSecret

I went berry picking this morning. There's about a million more which will likely be ripe by the end of the week and I haven't even cut a pathway all the way into the mess.

[​IMG]

Also have to chop off a Broccoli floret, because it is ripening too quickly.

I blame El Nino.

8. NavyCuda

Global Warming from all you Earth haters driving gasoline powered cars!

9. TopSecret

Every morning when I'm not working, I go berry picking. Every morning I pick more and more, and I'm still only skimming the edges of all the bushes around here!

Ready for the the flash freeze:

[​IMG]

This is my daily yield, two cookie sheets. But even those are getting crowded now.

10. Dagmaar

Dagmaar Crossbow Man Founders

Nice score !

11. Commando

Commando Rock Thrower

The baby has dropped! You need to meet her and see our garden. We just pulled up a huge harvest.

12. Commando

Commando Rock Thrower

I've never had any luck with broccoli. It always shoots up to fast and goes to seed

13. Commando

Commando Rock Thrower

Went into the backyard and picked berries. Then ate a bunch with ice cream. Nothing like fresh berries!

Attached Files:

14. TopSecret

We are saving our berries for a wine making adventure.

Well we haven't had massive heads yet either. At the old place we had a few decent sized ones. Enough to feed two in one meal. What a color they have though!
    Currently I have one that's trying to flower and needs to be cut off. Several that are just now starting to grow and then this one is the prettiest and biggest so far:

[​IMG]

15. TopSecret

Also fairly happy with the cabbages though they've been used and abused by bugs (yay for soapy water!). Apparently this hot and dry weather is popular among aphids and caterpillars... $&@%^*!

[​IMG]

There's also been a rhubarb revival. A month ago it looked like it was gonna die and now:

[​IMG]

Oh and here is Navy's brilliant idea, our potato volcano. It's grown a bit since the last picture.

[​IMG]

16. TopSecret

Little bit of harvest at a time:

[​IMG]

Doggy likes tomatoes... and broccoli.

17. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Those tomatoes look gorgeous!

18. TopSecret

[​IMG]

Finally enough to make some tomato sauce!

19. TopSecret

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Dagmaar

21. NavyCuda

She made a cream of broccoli soup last night. It was so good I could have had all soup and no meat and been happy!

22. NavyCuda

23. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

TS, what do you do with all those blackberries?

Ken likes this.
  24. TopSecret

Hoping to make wine out of them. I hope I harvested enough!

25. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

That sounds tastefully intoxicating!
    You must keep us in the loop on that

26. TopSecret

[​IMG]

I need to improve the soil next year, apparently there is too much stuff in the way. Getting a few deformed carrots!

27. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

They still taste good though I'm sure
    I love fresh carrots

28. TopSecret

So Navy harvested our potato volcano! We managed to grow 10! Half of them are big ones too.
    [​IMG]

Also I've been very lucky with growing Zucchini. They love the soil and nice weather it seems.
    [​IMG]

Did you know that Zucchini used to be a toxic plant until it was bred out of them? One has to be careful when re-using seeds from homegrown plants because apparently they can revert to being toxic again. So be safe and use store bought seeds!

Also the lettuce is liking the cooler weather. I had no luck with them or Spinach during the summer due to the heat. They either wouldn't grow or go straight to seed but they're returning! There's been a constant supply of Tomatoes and Broccoli as well.

I'd say our first attempt at gardening was quite successful considering it was all trial and error.

29. Testicular Cancer

Testicular Cancer Gay Santa Founders

nice, those taters kinda scare me. they is kinda funny looking. LOL. quick, make them fries and all will be good again

30. Dagmaar

Looking good !