1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Ford hybrids

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuels' started by drogers33, Jan 3, 2017.

1. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

Today Ford announced a bunch of production to be kept in the States blah blah blah evil Trump blah.

Article. Once I ignored the partisan whining and crying there's some interesting stuff there. Apparently Ford has decided that electric and hybrid are going to be a big deal and to think of some uses. Below I've got a few parts that I think are interesting. 2020 is a long way off however.

2. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

Hybrids are mostly a waste of time and resources, but sell cars to people who want to appear to be saving the environment but lack the ability to look critically at the whole picture.

Hybrids and plug in hybrids are not great at either job and a number of compromises have to be made to accommodate two different drive trains.

Pure electric is the most efficient as far as energy used to move a vehicle. Hybrids can get better fuel mileage than a straight internal combustion powered vehicle, but cost more and are more complex.

3. Kagia

Kagia Crossbow Man Founders

Well that is a massive market right now. Plenty of sanctimonious blowhards out there who want nothing more than to sit up on their high horse and point their finger at everyone else.

4. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I've said for a long time that if an electric truck comparable to mine in power, handling, speed, and distance capability were available I'd have bought it.
    I can't see that for at least 10 years, so Ill stick to a gas one for now. Be interesting to see what the F-150 looks like though. The first few iterations will be junk I'm sure, but once they work some of the bugs out, it will probably boost in quality.
    Really the biggest thing for me is the distance I can travel. If we get to the pont where we can recharge a full 600-800km travel time the same way we fill up, I'd be a hell of a lot more interested

5. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

Yup, distance and battery replacement costs are what keep me from even looking.

6. Canadian1911

Canadian1911 Crossbow Man

As far as Hybrids and other green options go.

Don't dump a perfectly good gas car for a Hybrid or Electric. The resource use and the emissions put out to produce those vehicles are considerably larger than a standard gas car, and if everyone suddenly jumped ship to them, the cost of the emissions to produce all those cars could very well outweigh any emissions saved by driving them.

Long story shot, if your gas car is reaching it's end, then go for a green option, but don't just jump ship without reason, it's not worth it either for your wallet or the environment.

7. manic29

manic29 Spearman

I just want a pickup with 300hp that takes 5L/100km. And it can't be out of commission waiting for batteries to charge for hours so pure electric is out. So I guess that is not happening without being a hybrid (and maybe not even then).

8. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

A pickup usually has a terrible coefficient of drag. Owning an electric car has taught me how much energy it actually takes to go over 100km/hr.

Without substantial technological advancement, I don't see small pickups getting anywhere near that number and still be capable of highway speeds.

I had a naturally aspirated toyota diesel that came damn close to 6-7L/100km but it couldn't pass itself and tapped out at 110km/hr.