1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

First engine to power SLS rocket roars to life on Mississippi test stand

Discussion in 'Earth and Space' started by drogers33, Mar 11, 2016.

1. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016...cket-roars-to-life-on-mississippi-test-stand/
    I really wonder if the US Gov has any hope of getting anything right. SpaceX and Blue Origin are building and flying reusable boosters saving huge dollars in the process and here us NASA building (at the direction of congress) an Apollo type launch system that is single shot/massive payload.

2. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. Anything that keeps your costs down is a good thing, and throwing away reusable engines doesn't add up.
    I wonder if musk et al have engines that produce comparable thrust.

3. drogers33

According to the SpaceX website the Merlin engines produce 185,000lbs of thrust each. And the Falcon 9 rocket has 9 merlin engines, the Falcon Heavy has 3 Falcon 9 rockets strapped together for 53,000kg payload to low earth orbit.

Poking around SpaceX website and they list pricing for launches. Falcon 9 with a 2016 launch window $61.2M gets you up to 13,150kg to LEO or 4,850kg to GTO. Falcon Heavy will cost you $90m for 53,000kg to LEO or 21,200kg to GTO.

4. stevebc

5. drogers33

From wiki:

A geosynchronous transfer orbit or geostationary transfer orbit (GTO) is a Hohmann transfer orbit used to reach geosynchronous or geostationary orbit using high thrust chemical engines.

6. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

A GTO is a goat to me...

7. stevebc

Without looking it up, I'm assuming that a G TO is much higher than a low earth orbit. Actually, I think geosynchronous is 2200 miles up.
    Oh hell, I'll have to look it up or it'll drive me nuts.

At first I'd typed 22000 miles, but that didn't seem right so I amended it to 2200. I was right the first time. Low earth orbit runs from 90 to 160 miles or so.