1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

First Aid go-bag

Discussion in 'Outdoors and Survival' started by Ken, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

What do you have for your First Aid go-bag?
    Or do you even have one. I highly recommend you make sure you have at least something in your house and car. The worst can happen any day, and here in Canada we have a vast wilderness you should be prepared to survive in. First step to survival is providing first aid
    My truck has, for day to day, a Costco special First Aid kit, with a few additions like a CPR mask, a fire blanket and a fire extinguisher. (Also road flares, the chemical burn type)
    My go-bag for camping, and hikes etc, I keep in my house until I head out.
    I decided to go with a Maxpedition Gearslinger bag.
    [​IMG]
    It's not a first aid designed bag, but its versatile and tough. I like the one strap system, it's fast on and off, and can swing around in front for quick access to the compartments.
    I keep the bandages, splints, tensor bandages, ab pads etc in the main compartment along with instruments and hot/cold bags. Quick to access and big enough to hold everything for trauma.
    [​IMG]
    the top puch holds just my knife and pocket mask when I'm not going camping, when I'm in the bush it holds spare shotgun rounds, and in a SHTF scenario, 9mm magazines
    [​IMG]

It's a good little bag for hiking and small range excursions. The back compartment is designed to hold a pistol, again for SHTF scenarios, or day to day if you have CCW (States only, obviously)
    Has a bottle holder on the outside that fits a large water bottle, and MOLLE straps all over for further customization.

So share your go-bags for FA, SHTF or whatever else you have for worst case scenarios.

2. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

I have IFAK on all my gear that's used with firearms or wilderness, plus I've been leaving the costco $35 FA kits everywhere (cabin, car, house, etc).

My IFAKs are geared towards trauma ie. things that kill you now. the costco kits have the booboo shit in them and honestly that shit can wait till I'm back. The main thing I need now is to get the wife trained up so she can get the maximum benefit out of the supplies we have.

3. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Yeah.
    My Go-Bag goes to the range too. Basically anywhere that isnt to and from work it goes
    I have a few more things than just the heavy trauma shit in there. Basic medication etc. It's a good idea to have the smaller shit handy too. Headaches can fuck you up if they go on. re-hydration salts go a long way too
    Id suggest getting a small fire extinguisher for the car too.
    make it accessible from the driver's seat. If you get in an accident and the engine goes up, it can save your life.
    Also, cause I guess this is getting into more than just the go-bags, I rock a window breaker and seatbelt cutter accessible from the driver's seat too

4. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

I'm horrible when it comes to stocking up on first aid stuff.

I cut myself and I think "oh yeah, gotta buy some bandaids and first aid items"... Go shopping and don't even look at the stuff.

It's weird because we always had a cupboard of medicine and bandaids (though some items were old) and what not at home and it was very handy.

Medication can be good quite some time after it's expiry date, lol.

5. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Im lucky because in construction when we de-mob a site, the FA supplies are up for grabs, and I tend to get to them first, so most of my shit is pilfered.
    If you're in Port Kells, check out ONO on 96th ave. Fairly cheap supplies, and all in one place so you'll be able to get everything without forgetting anything.
    I also tend to adhere to medicine expiry dates precisely. Is it industry standard to have them listed to expire prematurely?

6. drogers33

I don't have fire extinguisher in the car and I figure I should.

One thing for Go Bags or IFAKs that are for emergency use it really pays to vacuum pack the components to help with shelf life and volume reduction.

7. drogers33

8. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I use ziplocs, I don't have a vacuum packer, plus ziplocs can be resealed easily

9. drogers33

If I'm opening a IFAK it's cause I'm bleeding out and most if not all of the supplies are going to be used. My booboo kits aren't vacuum packed cause I'm constantly using and refilling.

10. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Fair enough.
    Your IFAK's are a bit smaller than my gearslinger so it makes sense in your case, it's kind of a single use idea. Ideal for webbing etc.

11. drogers33

12. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

If I understand it right, expiry date just means the date until the manufacturer guarantees full potency of the drug or active ingredient. Doesn't mean that after that date it doesn't work any longer or is bad for you.

13. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Fair enough.
    I always figured it would either be ineffective or worst case, harmful.
    Maybe ill start keeping the expired Advils in our cupboard

14. Davies

Davies Pikeman

I dont have anything, which is probably a bad thing considering I'm driving all over the province most often late at night. Every truck has to have a first aid kit in them by law. I've looked in mine and it just has bandaids and gauze pads. That shit isn't gunna do sweet fuck all if I head on some poor bastard in a sedan at 90+kmh lol! we also carry fire extinguishes as well but they don't do much when your brakes burn up and the truck is usually so dirty and oily it burns up quick and hot. I've seen tractors melted to the road....

15. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Nah bud, you take out a sedan in the middle of nowhere, its like it never happened! Those loads aint gonna deliver themselves

16. Davies

Davies Pikeman

Lol fair point! I'll tell 'em you said it's ok to hit sedans.... Maybe I'll go for the high score one day, a man can dream...