1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Early 60's boys knife

Discussion in 'Sharp Objects and Pointy Sticks' started by stevebc, Mar 21, 2015.

1. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

If you were a boy growing up in the early 60's, this was the knife you wanted, and your friends wanted, and it came in a little leather pouch that went on your belt, and boy oh boy did you want that for cub camp, but somehow that didn't happen and you never did get that knife and gradually as you got older you thought of it less and less until eventually you stopped thinking about it at all.

Fast forward (picture this in black and white: pages flying off calendars, year after year) to about 8 or 9 years ago and Hannah and I are at the Kamloops Gun Show, where she spots it: missing the corkscrew arm, rusty, but otherwise, there it IS, for the princely sum of $8!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the edges are blunt, but I did test the scissors and they worked just fine. The odd thing about it is, other than the "STAINLESS STEEL" stamps on the fork and spoon, there are no other markings whatsoever.

Looking back, I'm remembering a certain reluctance on my Dad's part to finance this particularly shining example of the knifemaker's art. I can't imagine why…

Anyway, for now it hangs from a nail just over my desk, and it makes me smile every time I look at it.

2. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

I'm not going to lie, I probably couldn't bring myself to eat with that.

3. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

Cool!

But really, you need two if you want to eat with fork and spoon or fork and knife! Unless of course it's detachable or something. I know I know, most of the time one or the other is enough!

Gonna make it look pretty again?

4. StoneHorse

StoneHorse Archer Founders

OMG, I had one of those. I am not sure what happened to it but we did lose a bunch of stuff traveling to Australia & back to Canada. We were gone almost a year, 1967-1968. I'll bet it wasn't made in China.

5. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

No, just going to leave it as is. It earned that look somehow.

6. Dagmaar

Dagmaar Crossbow Man Founders

Omg , I remember those ! Yes , the boys always wanted one . Me , I always wanted an air rifle as a wee tomboy . Made my Trudeau loving parents very unhappy !

7. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

I was so happy with when I was 6-8 when I got my first red scout knife. And I think my mom was more than a little pissed when I went nuts over getting my own axe at age 10 and couldn't care about the new bike. I still have that axe head, several shafts later though.

8. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

I had one of those too, and I lost it as well lol. They were great

Shawn