1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Daily drivers

Discussion in 'Gasoline Powered' started by stevebc, Apr 5, 2015.

1. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

This was a car I got from my brother in a 3 cornered deal with my mother and and VW Passat. My brother bought it from a guy in Chilliwack (or was it Abbotsford?) and it came with a broken odometer. That was at 196,997km, and 8 years ago, so nobody knows what the mileage is on it now.
    Speaking of mileage, it still gets 40mpg without even trying. If I really work at it, I can get mileage up around the 45+mpg mark.

It's a 4cyl, 5 speed manual that's a hoot to drive. Reminds me a lot of my old Minis, only reliable, with brakes that work, and not totally underpowered. It's loud on the inside, a lot of road, engine, and wind noise, it handles like a dream in the corners though it's a bit twitchy straight and level at high speeds, say 75mpg plus.
    It's also a rust bucket. The rear is badly rusting around the hatch glass (gorilla tape covers a multitude of sins), and the wheel arches, and the rear bumper is assisted in staying in it's position by a couple of well placed sheet metal screws.

It was surging and stalling on me lately, but I cleaned a gapped the plugs today (every one of them gapped way too wide) and it's just purring for me now. No problems at all. I'm going to reward it with a new air filter.

So remember folks, if you play your cards right and make the correct decisions in life, one day you too can aspire to owning your very own 1986 Honda Civic:

[​IMG]

2. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

So you're using the rust weight reduction system for extreme hyper milling?

3. stevebc

Yes, yes, exactly! Plus, I cleverly put my tools on the floor behind the passenger seat, for the best weight distribution. Gotta offset my weight, y'know.

Looking it the picture, I forgot to mention that back in '86, if you wanted a passenger side mirror, you paid extra for that option. Also, I'm not a fan of sunroofs: they either drip condensation on you from melting frost, or your brains are getting parboiled in the afternoon sun.
    After trying pieces of cardboard taped in place, I finally got a rattlecan of silver paint and painted the inside of it opaque.

So folks- let's see your daily drivers!

4. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

I used to have a burgundy 1988 300zx, 2+2, with digital dash, V6 turbocharged engine. Awesome little car.

Sort of like this:

[​IMG]

Aaah, this brings back memories. Little car took us to Vegas and back.

I now drive a 1994 Nissan Maxima. I'm not too sure about the details, other than it's FWD with a V6 engine which sounds and runs lovely! AC works too which makes navy green with envy! Also surprisingly good in the snow! It even does 4x4 but it needs shocks and springs so the Q45 is better.

I'm waiting for my tax return to clear with the bank so I can put a new set of tires on it and give it a bath. I will take pictures after that.

I've put a good $8,000 into the car over the last couple years. Considering it's mileage is nearing 300,000km it was much needed maintenance. I don't remember everything... Complete brakes, timing belt, wiper transmission, alternator, starter, lights... Navy might know more. Still needs work but will eventually be like a new car!

Another awesome little automobile. Nissans are great and very reliable. Very happy with my daily driver.

5. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

I would have no issue buying one of those Civics.

Current daily driver is exactly like this one. 2008 Cobalt. Have an 07 GMC pick up that is in pieces in my garage. Getting some "box removed" TLC, so I won't officially add it too the list

Attached Files:

6. CLW .45

CLW .45 Rock Slinger

Takes me wherever I need to go.

image.jpg

7. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

You guys got nothing on me, its newer but sort of better LOL

2012 Ford focus only 60K on it and getting 7-8 L per 100. I cant remember the last time I filled up, early march I think.

Shawn

8. NavyCuda

I tried to drive my 2007 Focus today. Rear brakes seized up tight, so I'm home alone with the puppies today.

9. canadianpsyko

canadianpsyko Chief Grand Breakage-er Staff Cam Founders

Current putter to work and back is 2015 CX5. Acquired in January, 11,000 km on it so far.

10. NavyCuda

300zx twin turbo saves the day! Sitting for a couple years and happily starts, drives and gets me to work!

11. TopSecret

The difference between a Nissan and a Ford.

A Nissan will take you wherever you need to go, even after sitting and being ignored for ages. It might be mad but it won't leave you stranded!

12. stevebc

I may have posted too soon. On the way to work this morning, it kept surging, then dying, then running on 3 cylinders, then running under choke, then not liking choke, then it died in the parking lot at work.
    Managed to get it started and home again, but…. honestly it may be time to let the poor thing lay down and die.

13. NavyCuda

I have a Ford Focus we dislike for cheap! It needs some brake work, struts and maybe wheel bearings but other than that it has a strong running engine that I just converted to synthetic and a well behaved automatic.

14. canadianpsyko

Compare your Focus to a same year Sentra.

15. NavyCuda

He's got a point, all our Nissans are flagships.

Z blew the lower rad hose today. :(

16. TopSecret

Still drove though, didn't it?

So are sentras prone to leaving people stranded then? Will they refuse to go from a to b after sitting for a couple of months?

17. NavyCuda

Z is all fixy fixy!

The twin turbo 300zx sure is a fun car to drive. Though I find this interesting, from 100-160kph, the Q45 still feels faster. From 0-100kph, the Z is the clear winner in my opinion.

18. canadianpsyko

Any high mileage vehicle parked for long periods will have a reasonable risk of it developing issues. It has nothing to do with the brand.

19. TopSecret

Perhaps... Though my high mileage Nissans might disagree. :p

20. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

It would need a talking with my Nissan Pathfinder that died a fiery death after an engine replacement at 200k. It might be garden furniture by now though.

21. NavyCuda

What year pathfinder?

Every brand has good cars and lemons, we've just had excellent results with Nissans.

22. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

2001. It was awesome! My brother bought it new and drove it to work everyday. So literally mainly hwy kms at 2.5-3 hours there and back. No rust. Was like driving a 4x4 car. But I do realize that any manufacturer can have a dud. My moms new Toyota Camry had to get a new engine under warranty as well. My dads Cadillac blew a crank. Nobody is safe!

23. TopSecret

Makes me wonder who worked on the car?!

You (family/ friends), your average car shop, dealership?

The person(s) working on/ fixing a vehicle can certainly make or break it...

Thank god for good old Dan at the z shop and Navy!

24. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

Religiously serviced at the dealership.

25. NavyCuda

My chauffeur!

jake_my_driver.jpg

26. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

Didn't Lamborghini use the headlights from those cars for the Diablo?

27. stevebc

Hannah now wants me to look at a 2008 Camry Hybrid. I'm suspicious as hell of hybrids, so I'll be doing a lot of research. Toyota claims their electric drive battery is good for the life of the car, and I'm not buying that. I'd rather get a plain 4cyl standard in a Japanese import that I can use as a daily driver, get better mileage than the gas engine delivers (35mpg), and skip hauling all that battery weight around.

28. NavyCuda

Hybrids are a waste of time and money. Pure electric, if your commute supports it would be worth while. Otherwise, look at a turbo diesel for economy.

I was really surprised how nice the Chevy Cruz diesel was to drive, even though I think it's one of the ugliest cars in its class.

My dad got 260,000km on his Focus and it still runs great, is automatic and is in the 35mpg range. It's too bad I've been spoiled by Nissan flagships for so long, because a Focus just doesn't compare to an Infiniti.

29. NavyCuda

It looks like it!

When I get a bit further ahead money wise I want to buy the factory Nissan HID headlights for the Z and convert them to left hand drive ECE pattern from the right hand drive pattern.

30. stevebc

Ok, the hybrid idea has been shot down. In fact, the second car idea is on hold- I'd rather get some needed renos done anyway.

She liked the Camry because it felt like a luxury car to her (it had all the bells and whistles I guess), and all I want is a small Honda or Toyota econobox.

31. stevebc

I've taken the Honda off the road, so we're back to just our trusty 2008 Tacoma:

[​IMG]

We bought it new, it now has just under 83000km on it, and it's been a damn good vehicle for us. It's pretty much plain jane: 4 cyl (Toyota the only manufacturer still offering a 4 in a small truck), 4 speed auto, cd/radio, AC, and that's about it. But I still remember the old Datsun and Toyota pickups of the 70's, and plain jane nowadays is a giant step above plain jane then. Highway mileage is around 30-33mpg.
    In winter, 250lbs of sandbags over the rear wheels, winter tires, and it handles… well, like a pickup. That's why I got lazy and went for the auto transmission, I figured, it's a truck, not a fun car to throw into the corners, so I don't need a standard.

We love it, and our dog Sunny rides in a box mounted on the centre console/storage compartment between the seats, so he's up close to our level, and can see the road ahead and around.

32. hannah

hannah Rock Slinger Founders

Only 29 years old. What a lemon.

33. NavyCuda

Put the Top Secret Maxima back on the road, 282,000km and got some new tires and an alignment!

34. TopSecret

And I don't even get to drive it! BS I say!

35. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

That's awesome! All you need.

36. NavyCuda

Costco run + Dog food!

groceries.jpg

37. TopSecret

My efficient little precious Maxima.

[​IMG]

That's 555km on one tank. We did the math on that one and it came to 9.3L/ 100km.

Not bad for a car that's 21 years old and nearing 300,000km!

It so needs a bath though! So I can finally post pics.

38. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

I just got mine down to 8.9L per 100 at 130kph most of the time too

Shawn

39. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

[​IMG]

My daily driver. 2014 Ram 1500.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015