1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Building a lunar base with 3D printing

Discussion in 'Earth and Space' started by TopSecret, Jun 6, 2015.

1. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

I came across this the other day, though the article itself is 2 years old. Thought it was interesting.

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/S...nology/Building_a_lunar_base_with_3D_printing

2. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

That really is interesting, that first picture reminded me of a stacked log wall. I wonder why they went that route- and what they'd fill the hollow spaces with.

I further wonder how 1/6th gravity would affect the printing process, but I'd love to see it in actual action.

Looks like all that sci-fi I read was right- domes are the way to go, unless they go with Heinlein's plan: build underground.

3. TopSecret

TopSecret I told on you! Staff Founders

Nevermind the gravity but the temperature differences between day and night would be something else too!

A German article said that they would be putting a base on the dark side of the moon for uninterrupted views into space.

I wonder if the hollow parts are to reduce weight (even at 1/6 gravity) and make it easier to move around?! Or possibly to use as little resources as possible?

4. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

Hollow parts will be insulation my guess.

They can make a structure strong enough out of much thinner materials, but keeping the base the same temperature all the time takes lots of energy. The better the insulation, the less wasted energy.

5. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

6. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

totally cool!

7. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

I am not sure I would trust 3d printed material to be the only thing between me and the vacuum of space just yet.

Shawn

8. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

From what I remember of a couple essays I read on the topic of lunar bases even surface structures would have to be buried in by a couple meters of rock and rubble to protect the equipment and people from radiation.