1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Backup Power

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessories' started by NavyCuda, Jan 5, 2015.

1. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

So last night the power went out for about four hours.

In the future I will need a minimum of 24 hours of backup power to ensure my fish don't die.

Should I consider a battery bank, or go straight to a diesel genset?

Need a minimum of 1.5kw*/hr for the fish, lights and appliances.

*rough guess, likely higher though.

2. Testicular Cancer

Testicular Cancer Gay Santa Founders

batteries are way cheaper and just sit quietly waiting.

can also set up a solar panel to trickle charge them

3. Cedarsherrif

Cedarsherrif Spearman Founders

Go genset. I had batteries but then the obvious happened and the powere when out for over a couple of days, I was pissed to no end. Now I have a genset and feel much better. Although I have only used it once

4. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

I have had to hook the generator up to the house a few times within the last couple years. One time was for a couple days. I vote genset.

5. canadianpsyko

canadianpsyko Chief Grand Breakage-er Staff Cam Founders

Steam powered turbine!

6. drogers33

drogers33 Longbow Man Founders

DO IT!

7. NavyCuda

Easier said then done!

8. drogers33

For sure. Would still be rather awesome. If you routed the steam post turbine thru your floor you could heat your house in the winter as well and if it's your normal heating you would have steam onhand when you need power.

9. NavyCuda

A steam generator is part of my heating plans but that's down the road a year or two.

10. StoneHorse

StoneHorse Archer Founders

Definitely depends on the power draw (load) and for how long. I had to go without power for almost three full days one winter. Having a gas fireplace, gas stove and gas water heater made a huge difference in our comfort level. Gensets are the way to go if you want to run the whole house. They can be natural gas, propane, gasoline and of course diesel powered.

11. NavyCuda

Being on a main highway and close to a reserve, means thus far we haven't seen an outage that lasts more than a couple hours. Weather is pretty tame here too.

However, once I get the fish, I really need to have a worst case power back up. The fish can die in under 15 minutes without power, plus an outage lasting more than a couple hours can change a plant that is growing vegetation to one that tries to flower, or vice versa. Plants and Fishies lives must be as stress free as possible.

12. hannah

hannah Rock Slinger Founders

drogers, have you got any favoured links for that?

Ooops, the "quote" feature didn't work for me; so, edited to add: I was referring to your post #8

13. drogers33

No links but most systems like this are custom builds and I've spent many hrs dreaming and picking the brains of several steam engineers and pipe fitters in anticipation of my big lotto win to fund it all.

14. NavyCuda

I was thinking though that if you used a compound engine instead of a turbine you could get it to the point where the condenser shows vacuum...