1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

Automotive Code Readers/Diagnostic Tool

Discussion in 'Gasoline Powered' started by Grip, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

So I was coming back from groceries the other day with my wife when I noticed that the truck had a bit of a chug. The check engine light has come on and off the last month or so. Didn't think much of it because every vehicle I have ever owned had one come on at some point that never really amounted to anything. And up until today, it ran like a top.

So we unload and I am watching the tailpipe blow out rings of steam. Just seems like one cyl. isn't firing. Anyways, I park it back by the garage and as I am walking to the house, I think...time to finally get a code reader!

I have always wanted one, but never seemed to take the plunge for some reason. Ordered one on Amazon yesterday, and it ends up it is shipping from BC. I say this in case any of you guys want to make the $6.52 shipping charge directly and drive it out to me. I would even up it too an even $10!

I did a bit of research and determined that I didn't just want a static reader, so I went with a tool that has the capability of reading and giving a bit more of a report. The prices go from to pretty cheap to holy shit!

I ended up getting the INNOVA CanOBD2 Diagnostic Tool 3100g.
    http://www.innova.com/en-US/Product/Detail/3100g

[​IMG]

It seemed to have most of what I want without jumping into the "Holy Shit" category. The next financial leap was just too much to justify the few extra things that it would do.

Anybody have anything like this?

2. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

Just got an email that it has been shipped. From Amazon specifically. No third party.

And I apparently lied. It must have been another one I was looking at that was coming from BC. No road trip for you guys.

3. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

I want to take a road trip in my Q45!

4. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

5. NavyCuda

6. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

The code reader would say, P0536 - missing oil pan

7. Grip

Grip Archer Founders

So I got the reader today and damn!

Sounds like low fuel pressure. Could be a few things that cause those codes. Once I have some time, I will have to dig deeper.

8. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

Fun Fact: Any Chrysler model will tell you the check engine code. Turn the key from off to "ACC" three times rapidly, and then hold it there, and if you have a post 1998 model, a code will pop up in the odometer screen. Pre 1988 and the check engine light will blink a series of times, a short pause and then another series of times. either way, punch those into the ol internet machine and it will tell you the issue.
    Not so fun fact: Not all makes do this. Only Chrysler.

9. NavyCuda

A good number of manufactures offer self-diagnostic modes, Nissan does for sure, the CEL blinks the code when put into diagnostics mode.

10. Ken

Ken Crossbow Man

I stand corrected.
    The forum I read said it was only Chrysler. They may have meant that method specifically.
    Either way its a handy thing to know if you don't have an OBD handy