1. Welcome to projectilethrowers.ca! We are a brand new community focusing on lifestyles that make Canada great. Everyone is welcome! Come on in and bring your friends and family!
    Dismiss Notice

7 Days to Die dedicated server.

Discussion in 'Servers, Clans and Teamwork' started by NavyCuda, Feb 11, 2016.

1. NavyCuda

NavyCuda Grand Nagus Staff Founders

It's planned. I now have 7dtd purchased for my dedicated server account.

I'll work on getting the server running tonight or tomorrow. It will be a private server only for pt members.

In the mean time, let's discuss the basic strategy we want to follow:

I really like building in the forest biomes as they have an excellent supply of stone, clay, iron and wood. The base structure design still needs some work but I believe I have a design that will work well enough to get us through two major hordes. The tower itself is pretty straight forward but it's the defensive lines, their layout and repair that has me thinking. The other issue with a standing tower is that it does not offer protection while doing large scale mining operations.

An underground bunker/mining arrangement might work good too but I have to experiment with that still too. I imagine a combination of tower, fortification and mining shaft would be ideal.

Using existing buildings is an option to, though they can end up limiting your design options.

2. NavyCuda

Appears to be some issues gifting the game to my dedicated server account. Put a support ticket in.

3. Shawn

Shawn Moderator Staff Founders

Sweet, this is my I have nothing better to do game

Shawn

4. NavyCuda

Steam has a terrible turn around time it seems, so at this rate there will not be a dedicated server this weekend.

5. NavyCuda

Ok it's fixed, tried an experiment and it worked.

Now to decide if I get the server up tonight and we start a new game or we continue one of the current ones so we have a game plan when we start day 1 on the dedicated server.

6. NavyCuda

I'm working very hard... the machine is happily cutting away, needs very little attention from me, so I'm trying to setup the dedicated server from work!

7. NavyCuda

The power of Linux, it runs!

8. NavyCuda

So I've started playing around on the dedicated server a bit. Spawn rate is set to 125% so for a group it should move us up tech pretty quickly and making salvage runs worthwhile. Zombies are set at the default rate which isn't bad. Random Map.

I'll give out the IP and password on teamspeak when it's time.

9. Shawn

Now you all will witness Navy's "problem"

Shawn

10. stevebc

stevebc Lead Moderator Staff Founders

Is this one of those problems that requires a 12 Step program?

11. Shawn

Yes, as long as each step is exactly the same and laid out in a perfectly symmetrical pattern

Shawn

12. NavyCuda

I'm thinking of starting a new map, the current castle is much too large and while we have massive defenses, they're spread out over too large of an area, giving us less effective defenses

13. Shawn

What did you fuck up? Its not perfectly symmetrical?

Shawn

14. NavyCuda

No, it's just too big... we have ~2000 log spikes but when the zombies come we effectively only have 100-200 in their path.

Also, yes, the new design is mostly symmetrical. I've been drafting it at work.

Are you ok with starting over? I'll ask hutch and diemaco tonight...

15. hutchster

hutchster Rock Thrower

You're the engineer, I'm just a lowly peasant incessantly hammering away at cobblestone :)

I can understand the reasoning, especially seeing as the zed's don't destroy crop fields and most medieval castles didn't wall off the fields or did they ?

16. NavyCuda

No, the castle pretty much just protected the elites and had a sufficient stockpile to resist a prolonged seige.

17. NavyCuda

So, settings:

I'd like to do another random map, however I think we can agree there wasn't enough of a zombie challenge.

Zombie spawn rate is currently set to 2, with 0 being the least and 5 being the most. I would say we try 3 to start and turn it up later if it's not enough.

Loot spawn rate is currently set to 125% is everyone happy with that?

18. Shawn

LOL so I was right, you want to start over because the building was not symmetrical

Shawn

19. NavyCuda

I've been thinking more about the new layout and I'll post it here once I'm happy with it. I realized a couple other mistakes I've made in the defense layout. I'll try to figure out how many defensive blocks we'll need. Ideally if the four of us are on tonight, two builders, two salavagers.

If just three, I'll stay behind and build the basic layout, two salage for 5-6days and then they return home to the defensive line for day 7.

20. NavyCuda

Very rough layout, some features intentionally omitted. There will be a pool around the keep foundation, 2bravo's mining access and stairs to grade level.

1455651955880.jpg

21. Shawn

Hutch and I un fucked the stair bridges to be more effective. Have a look, that it the best design as one guy just stands on the bridge and the zombies collect under him with nothing to damage.

Shawn

22. Shawn

There needs to be nothing put spikes under the gap between the stairs and the walkway for at least 3 to 4 block on either side. So that support post need to be moved more to the right in the pic so they have nothing to attack

Shawn

23. NavyCuda

That was the concept behind the original pole building on Diemaco's game. I want a fort where we can go about mining and doing shit inside without actively controlling the zombies.

I think you have to agree the current castle is much too large for the size of our group. I will check the changes out when I get home.

Thoughts on my current layout? Still okay with starting a new game tonight?

24. NavyCuda

We can experiment with that as cobblestone can have issues with as little as two blocks of overhang, I'm hesitant to inturpt the walkways as well.

25. NavyCuda

Also, it might not be clear in thjs drawing but the first exterior walkway has been removed, as with the castle, the zombies get through all the spikes and can attack the wall without taking damage, so thjs design will have them attacking the wall while standing on spikes, if they live that long...

26. Shawn

Look at the ones on the server now Hutch and I had no issues

Shawn

27. NavyCuda

I will tonight when I get home, and I think that one step back is enough, but I want to keep the walk ways in place. Like I said, we should be able to go about our business without allocating a body to manage the horde.

28. NavyCuda

I'm looking forward to logging in tonight! I saw you guys were on for a while so it will be interesting to see what's happened!

29. Shawn

Things got weird, Hutch may be pregnant

Shawn

30. NavyCuda

No! How could you cheat on me like that?!

31. Testicular Cancer

Testicular Cancer Gay Santa Founders

lost a minibike with the super fun rubberbanding. then fell through the map. nice little 5k run. oh wait, 6 dogs came and raped me.......

built another, finally found snow. gonna go skiing later i hope

32. NavyCuda

So the HDD and ram that Hutchster was so kind to donate to the server is sitting at the post office. Due to the extent of work I have to do to the server it is something I have to do on a weekend.

33. Shawn

LIES

34. NavyCuda

More accurately, my lack of experience with Linux makes the installation take much longer than it should. Last time I did a fresh install, to get the forum running it took me three days to get the forum to actually run.

35. NavyCuda

Ok, I've still been lazy and I have not added the new Harddrive.

I fixed the issue with the server map... linux error on my part.

I've started a new construction project, a hunting lodge. I hope to hit bed rock, clear the center and start laying the foundation next time I play.

36. NavyCuda

Ok, so because the power went out the server restarted itself. The server is up, but because I have the console behind a firewall I cannot access it from work to reset the game time.

Eventually I'll add your steamids to the admin list so it's possible to fix it from the ingame console... but for now, it's back at day 1 until I get home.

37. NavyCuda

Server is now running the 64 bit version. Physics performance is greatly improved and instances of lag due to high CPU load are short lived.

38. Shawn

My skills better be un fucked

Shawn

39. NavyCuda

I think you're in the same situation as Hutchster when it comes to fucked skills but there is another massive construction project to build the hunting lodge!

40. Shawn

I was on today and my skills came back. But how the fuck do you pick up a mini bike frame lol

Shawn

41. NavyCuda

You craft a new one.

42. Shawn

You have to be able to pick it up. Mike was taking them a part and putting them back together. And you can only make them at a forge.

Shawn

43. hutchster

hutchster Rock Thrower

To pick it up, you take all the pieces out first, then hold enter and select the hand symbol and it picks up the frame

44. Shawn

Thanks Hutch

Shawn